Saxophone Forum

by k7michal
(34 posts)
18 years ago

comparing tenor metal mouthpieces.

I play a "New York Super Tone Master 8* Otto Link" and was looking to expand my choice in sound.. Started reading up on other metal pieces and there seems to be a lot. I'm mainly attracted to the "Dave Guardala Super King/R&B" but then there is Dukoff and other greate pieces I'm sure. Can you guys let me know what metal pieces you like and why you like them? What about the sound quality and playability you like? Cheers.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: comparing tenor metal mouthpieces.

I too play a Link (on tenor- I expect we're addressing tenor here). Other than that, I've had a couple of older Bergs that I liked really well. They have a nice edgy rip to them and lots of balls, but are a bit more squirrely in response compared to the Link. I have also heard that they now have quality and consistency issues. I have a good friend who really loves Lambersons- maybe check that line out. I'm presently using a Link STM 8*(modern) that I flattened the table on (their facings these days are very consistent but not in a good way!) then to get a little more edge and a lot more projection, I built up the floor a little with epoxy putty. It still retains the Linkishness but it bites a lot better if I want it to.

Reply To Post

1. by k7michal
      (34 posts)

18 years ago

Re: comparing tenor metal mouthpieces.

yes, tenor... thanks for the input.

Reply To Post