Saxophone Forum

by jerome87tenor
(10 posts)
4 years ago

Mouthpiece exercises

Good day members, 

I've been doing some mouthpiece exercises lately and I read that the recommended pitch for tenor mouthpiece is G-5. However the most Stable pitch I get is B-4, I've tried to raise the pitch but it just doesn't feel and sound right. 
Any advice/thoughts ?

Thank you.  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece exercises

I am wondering what the purpose of the "mouthpiece exercises" is. Also, why is it importasnt to get a certain pitch?

I do understand the pitch is somewhat standared based on the pitch of the instrument it is designed for, but I dont see the value(?) of mouthpiece exercises??

Someone enlighten me and my ignorance.

I did a bit of resarch, I still dont get the value of practicing without the saxophone.

Reply To Post

2. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

4 years ago

This is definitely worth doing. Producing the proper pitch and a good "whole" sound on the mouthpiece alone is a great training exercise for showing you where your oral cavity should start (before voicing), and it also can prevent bad habits, i.e., if you are biting too hard, you might not realize it through the horn, but you'll never get the right pitch on the mouthpiece alone. I had a teacher in college that really harped on this, and I found it (along with long tones) to be one of the best things you can do to improve tone quality and control.

What mouthpiece/facing/reed strength are you using?

(a quick write up about its importance : https://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/what-playing-on-the-mouthpiece-alone-can-tell-you-about-your-pitch/) 

Reply To Post

1. by jerome87tenor
      (10 posts)

4 years ago

I use an SR tech pro 7* mouthpiece with 2.5 Rico reeds. 

The B-4 pitch i get is pretty stable and easy on my embouchure muscles, feels natural.  So maybe I need some exercises on voicing?

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
        (117 posts)

4 years ago

Could be, but you might also try a harder reed to see if that does anything for you. A 2.5 is a fairly soft reed for a medium-ish opening like the 7* (assuming it measures in that .100 - .105 range), especially with the higher baffle of an SR Tech, which is also giving you all kinds of help as far as reed vibration. Working on voicing and overtones is always a good thing too though.

Reply To Post

1. by jerome87tenor
          (10 posts)

4 years ago

Thank you! ????? 

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

4 years ago

I get a G5 concert on my tuner with mouthpiece only.  To get down to a B4 I have to back way, way off on my embouchure and air support.  So I think Jon Huff may be correct in suggesting a stronger reed for that mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

3. by jerome87tenor
          (10 posts)

4 years ago

Thank you! I have been off the saxophone for a while, reason for the softer reed atm. 

Reply To Post