Saxophone Forum

by dfour
(4 posts)
4 years ago

I repadded my YAS-25...

.. and now I can't play below E!

Hi guys,

I recently took apart my 20 year old YAS-25 completely and repadded it with the geniune Yamaha pads with plastic resonators.

Hopefully I've done the right thing.

I bought a stick of clear shellac for the job and used my micro-jet torch I use for hobby projects, all seemed to be going well and I even got into the swing of it. Two hours later I'd put the thing back together.

I've done an adjustment of the pads seating without obvious gaps, no bulb illumination just looking at the pads contacting the metal.

I can't play the low notes at all.

First time repadding.

The two possilities I can think of.. perhaps I need a leak light and I've missed a tricky to find leak or two. The other possibility is that some pads may have not had enough shellac, and air is escaping through the centre of the plastic resonator and out the back of the pad. Is this even possible? It'd be great to know!

Dan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: I repadded my YAS-25...

I did the same thing to my 2008 Corolla over the weekend.

I got all done and had a few whatever part lying around.

I cant seem to get it to start today.

Possibly should have used the right tools.

Reply To Post

1. by dfour
      (4 posts)

4 years ago

I nailed it in the end (not literally..)

Get a leak light, see below.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

4 years ago

I think you may have more than just a couple of leaks.  There is absolutely no way you can tell if the pads are seating just by eye.  You can make a good leak light from parts easily accessible at Amazon.com for less than $20.
    Use a light like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Daffodil-USB-LED-Light-Compatible/dp/B00BWTYMPM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Daffodil+USB+LED+light&qid=1589386395&sr=8-1

Then get a 6 to 10 foot USB extension cord and a small low voltage phone charger to connect it to a wall outlet.  

From my experience, you may be shocked by how many leaks you will find. 

Reply To Post

1. by dfour
      (4 posts)

4 years ago

Yes. I got it working perfectly now, better than I've ever known it, so I'm very plesed and surprised I was playing it in such a poor state for so long.

I made a leak light from a spare LED festoon lamp I had, soldered up some spare wire to a 12V supply, isolated the metal contacts with clear selotape and popped the light in, all the gaps jumped out like holy f.

Not sure if it's kosher but I was heating the cups in situ and pulling on the resonator gently with a fine screwdriver to draw the pad out and align it to the tonehole. Unfortunately had to poke at the leather a bit on some pads, which I'd rather not have done, but given it was my first repadding on my own sax I won't be whipping myself on that one. I think better more even insertion of the pad could've done a lot to mitigate the need for leather poking.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

4 years ago

With the leak light shining brightly and the cup closed lightly, you can see how easily a leak can be unnoticed without the light.

A large needle, or baritone saxophone needle spring can be slit in between the pad and the cup rim, allowing you to pry out a spot that has a leak. The cup has to be heated first, but this is often done in the final steps of set up.

Your catching on!!

I was a self taught repair guy decades ago. I later found some great techs willing to help me learn the trade. You got to have some common sense and a willingness to learn. Once you know the "correct" sequence of steps it becomes very easy. There are many techs out there that think they are the best in the world. If you get good at it and play along with other musicians, the work just comes to you. I know if I ever decided to do it as a retirement hobby, I would never have down time.

It isn't brain surgery. That would be closer to Bassoon Work!

Cograts!

Reply To Post

1. by dfour
          (4 posts)

4 years ago

Thank you sir!

At 33 and in electronics, I think I'll be able to do this finer work until my sight gives out!

Reply To Post