Saxophone Forum

by jhworrell
(1 post)
4 years ago

Antique CG Conn Ltd Tenor Sax

Just received my late Grandfather's Tenor and I am looking for info; he purchased it 2nd(or 3rd) hand in the 1950's in Alberta, Can.  It's stamped beneath the thumb rest as follows:

Patented 1914
     T
M205115
     L 

It was played several times a week from when purchased by my grandfather in the '50s up until he bacame too ill to play anymore in 2005.  It still works (almost) perfectly with only a couple minor pad leaks and still has a distinctively rich and full tone.  Original silver plating is approx 95% intact, but finish is quite dull and in need of TLC & restoration...however, the care and appreciation this horn has received is evident as not a single ding or dent can be found.
Any help with any info would be appreciated,
Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Antique CG Conn Ltd Tenor Sax

Your Tenor was made in the early 1920s. There is a museum tab in the upper left corner of this site with pictures and serial numbers. Look around at the information.There are a lot of them out there. It is very desireable. It has a good value around 1500 or so in nice playing condition. Clean and shiney doesn't make it play any better. As long as all the shell rollers move freely, it insnt banged up, and everything moves freely, it is a winner.

A new setup of pads, cork, felt, and adjustments will cost you around 500,  or more, at the upper end shops.

Reply To Post