Saxophone Forum

by snowmatt3456
(1 post)
4 years ago

Saxophone PPE?

I am a college music eduation student, just wondering what other people may or may not be doing for protective equipment while playing saxophone. My school is making it so we need a mask while we practice, so I cut a whole in a mask for the mouthpiece, but the next thing I need to figure out is a bell cover. I was thinking of using a bandanna or something similar, but I wanted to see if anyone else had anything they found that works. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Saxophone PPE?

Since the air comes out of the key holes, not just the bell, I would suggest putting a cotton sheet over your head, eye holes so you could see, and going at it under the sheet. Then you dont have to wear a mask. I would suggest any color other than Trump white....

I dont think your goal is going to be possible.

We need to be isolating, not practicing in a group or around others.

Good Luck. Stay Safe.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Saxophone PPE?

The purpose of a facemask is to keep your exhaled breath and associated droplets from spreading.  So once you cut a hole in your mask to play, you have totally defeated the purpose of the mask.  Your exhaled breath will now discharge directly through the tone holes and bell.  Madid might work for pianists and drummers, but won't work for woodwind players. 

Reply To Post