Saxophone Forum

by ericaelle
(2 posts)
4 years ago

Buescher True Tone

Hello!  New poster here.  I received a saxophone as a graduation gift back in 2013.  Lovely gesture, but besides playing with it when it was given to me I have not used it since (I prefer my main Selmer alto sax, and also do not get to play that often).  I would like to sell the sax, so it can be enjoyed by someone and not held onto by me as merely a collector's item.  

I'd like some help identifying what I have, and what it may be worth.  It's a Buescher saxophone, marked by Whaley Royce & Co Toronto, serial 74464.  If I recall correctly it plays in concert pitch, but I am rusty!  The sax should be in good condition, as the gifter put $1100 into fixing it up (see attached photos).  From some googling, I doubt the sax is worth what was put into it, but I'd love some assistance in this regard - and it putting it into the right hands!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone

It is an older version Buescher C melody without a front F.

Whoever paid 1100 to have it set up with inferior pads, already has paid more than double its value.

Hold onto it.

Its value as is may be around 650 at best.

Take it from me, 30 years of refurbishing vintage saxophones, I do a much more upper end refurbishing using better pads for much less. My price would be around 600 for the work done.

It is very common and not used by many musicians today.

It is a very nice example.

Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by ericaelle
      (2 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone

Thank you, I appreciate your response!  Putting the money into it was done with love believing I would be using it (but I just haven't found a use for it as yet).  It certainly is a beautifully preserved 100 year old sax.  So perhaps holding onto it for the time being may be the best bet.  

Reply To Post