Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
3 years ago

Looking for feedback on Otto Link Throw Back Models

I play, on Tenor, a 1942 Tonemaster, opened up to an 8 (110) by Ralph Morgan by the original owner, who was a friend of his. I just picked up a second 1946 Tone Master in a five facing which has had a little bit of work, making it play very "Coltrane like" in the upper register. All Tonemasters play differently, each having its own voice. I am very satisfied with both of mine.

Has anyone played on the New Vintage Series Tone Master OR the 2019 limited edition Florida model? I am wondering if they are consistent.

After talking to the mouthpiece refacer gurus, I am picking up a new unopened throw back tonemaster in a 7*. Ebay price, unopened is 200 bucks. Then I will provide this "Blank Canvas", unopened to them to duplicate my prize piece. If you are using the mouthpiece to play, and it plays like my true awesome vintage piece, why bother putting additional wear on you prize, sitting in your collection?

The price people think they should get for a vintage Tone master, such as on Ebay, makes me laugh. Again, each one plays different. 1000 bucks is a lot to pay for something so touch and go. I am also the cheapest person I know!

Thanks for any info.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Looking for feedback on Otto Link Throw Back Models

My first caveat is I still think nothing beats the original NY Tone Masters for that kind of sound. But yes, they are expensive.

The "vintage" series Tone Masters that came out a few years ago are about the closest you will find to those old Links. Shorter shank, similar chamber and baffle (meaning, almost no baffle), but consistency from the factory is an issue. If you are planning on having it worked on anyway, I say go for it. I think you'll be happy with the result.

I haven't played many of the newly issued FLorida pieces, but I have not been impressed. Same goes for the newer Meyer NY alto models.  

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

3 years ago

Thanks Jon. I always trust your knowledge.

My Tone Master is just a wonderful piece. As much as I play it, I know I will start wearing on it. Though, I do have a true Link Embachure, Lew Tabackin style, so I dont bite hard. Its more facial muscle control.

So I intend on exactly cloning it, putting my original back into my velvet lined collectors box and playing on the clone as my daily piece. The Mouthpiece Guys say that is exactly what I will have after they spec out my original.

I hope to have them reference the original serial number on the side, so it will be clear which piece it was cloned from.

I am surprised this isn't something collectors do always. This will be a first of 2021 project, so I will post my results here.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

3 years ago

I see you have a 5* in inventory there Jon.

I am awaiting an email answer from Brian Powell.

If that piece would work as well for my "cloning" project,

I may just snatch that one up.

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
        (117 posts)

3 years ago

Send me an email through the website if you decide to get it, I'll cut you a deal on it before your purchase.

Reply To Post