Saxophone Forum

by spottters
(1 post)
19 years ago

My Grandfather's Saxophone

I have a saxophone that was my grandfather's. I would like to know who made it. It says Low A L94673, and on the bell it says "Wurlitzer Amirican Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. USA" Yes, American is spelled incorrectly! I know my grandfather played it since his early twenties in Jazz bands, so it has to be at least 80 years old. I want to get it repaired/refurbished to playing standard, but not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: My Grandfather's Saxophone

wurlitzer was made by conn,buescher and martin so if the tone holes are bevelled its martin ,if the serial number has A above and letter L below its conn and neither its buescher but just post a picture. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by BigJimBelford
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

I am about to get a baritone saxophone that is engraved Wurlitzer American (not sure if spelled correctly or not) and made by Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. Cleveland and Cincinnati. Is there any place I can get more information on this. I did not write down the serial numbers and only remember the date as being 1914. It is in fairly good shape all the keys are present and intact and needs a neck and pads, basically a complete overhaul and major polish. Thanks for any help you can give me. Jim

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

your bari wont be a martin, the 1914 you saw was a patent date number for the tone holes so yours is either conn or buescher made as martin used their own patent bevelled holes Dave

Reply To Post

1. by BigJimBelford
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

We went back and checked the saxophone again and the numbers on it are as follows: 1119954 B 40505L and the holes are not beveled it does say patented in 1914. Would you have a ball park estimate of what this might be valued at? Is it worth bothering with? In general it is in good shape, needs pads, neck and polishing. Thank you for your help in this.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

That's a Conn stencil Baritone made in the early-mid 1920's.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by BigJimBelford
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Would this saxophone be worth bothering with? As I said before there are a couple minor dings but no real dents, it definitely needs new pads and the neck is missing but in otherwise good shape. The person that has it wants to sell it to us for $350.00.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

That's a lot for a sax that has a missing neck. Those necks are pretty hard to come by. If the body is in decent shape and the action is free, it's probably worth $250-$350 as a parts sax (provided you have one with a good neck).

Reply To Post Yahoo!