Saxophone Forum

by soupzill
(7 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer classical metal C** mouthpiece....does it truly resemble Marcel mules mouthpiece?

hey, Ive been searching around to get a really good vintage or modern Clasical mouthpiece for my tenor (selmer C* just isnt cutting it) and being a big fan of marcel mule and his "French" style sound I first looked at selmer where I happened to stumble appon the classic metal series. At first I thought there is no way this mouthpiece is good after reading a review from a perfessional saying that the Quot"Arched chamber design" was actually a more barrel shaped.At this point I was lost im wether selmer was right or the professional. so now I was just wondering if anybody has tried one and could tell me their opinion on it. Thanks, Troy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer classical metal C** mouthpiece....does it truly resemble Marcel mules mouthpiece?

I think I read that review at one time too. I just rolled my eyes and continued tooting on my Selmer 'E' I'm not sure what exactly he was reviewing. Mine has a round chamber and sounds great. I had it refaced to correct a minor imbalance which eliminated some reed and squeek issues it was having. Facing problems are common for massed produced mouthpieces not made by Ralph Morgan. I play mostly concert/legit stuff. Also, read this article by Paul Coats: www.saxontheweb.net/Coats/mouthpiece.html :)

Reply To Post

2. by Tenor_Guru
    (25 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer classical metal C** mouthpiece....does it truly resemble Marcel mules mouthpiece?

I do actually play the metal C** Selmer, classical style... I absolutly adore it... It has a warm dark tone. I find that the whole range all the way up to the double alltisimo A is stable from P to FF, and the normal range has near perfect ppp (although I've never found a time when I have needed it that soft...) If you're willing to spend the money, the mp can be a very good investment.

Reply To Post AIM