Saxophone Forum

by historicsaxwhisperer
(644 posts)
3 years ago

Tenney Jazzmaster Mouthpieces

When did Paul Tenney make the jazzmaster mouthpiece and where was his shop?

I play mostly 1940s Tonemasters and have always found his work priceless. I recently aquired one of his Tenney Slant signature Otto Link pieces and a Steve Broadus reface by Paul, both a 7*. They are both phenomenal. They are both making me second guess my 25 years of using a metal Tonemaster. So, I am now looking for a jazzmaster, which was made directly by Doc. I know they can be pricey!!

Thank you for any input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Tenney Jazzmaster Mouthpieces

You might want to contact Mark Overton of Saxquest directly with these questions.  From the bio clips I have read about Mark, Doc was the physician at the college where Mark got his undergraduate degree.  If I remember correctly, he spent time with Doc at his mouthpiece bench. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

3 years ago

Thanks for the lead to answer my question.

Mark was kind enough to relay that Doc made the Jazzmaster  from 2008 thru 2012

from his shop in his home in Cedar Falls.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

Well, here is my update.

I picked up a Tenney Jazzmaster in a 7*. These are not for the unseasoned player who is trying to decide on his sound. As Doc would say, it is not chops in a box. Your chops have to be earned and are quickly lost if you dont play on a regular basis.

But, if you are a seasoned player, looking to mature your sound to the sound you have in your head, this is a piece you really should get.

I have a nice wooden box with a dozen or so pieces that I have aquired, due to their complexity and uncommon hard to find nature. Most are Links. For the past month I have been using the Jazzmaster exclusively. The more I play it, the better I like my sound.

When you reach a point in your playing, when you think nothing else can help you develop your sound, except tedious hours of long tones, the Jazzmaster comes along, with all of Doc Tenney's precision and proven bore design. I am more than sold.

So before you dish out $750 or more for a shiny new gold piece that looks like it has saphires or rubies encrusted on it, or some beautiful middle easter design, look around for a nice used Jazzmaster. I got mine for 255 bucks.

I haven't seen any feedback from a seasoned player who doesn't agree with me.

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
      (117 posts)

3 years ago

"chops in a box"

I had forgotten that. Good ol' Doc!

Reply To Post