Saxophone Forum

by corpblues
(4 posts)
3 years ago

American Professional CL 15504

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.  i am a guitar player that can not pass up a vintage instrument of any kind.   I picked up a vintage silver sax that has American Professional on the front and CL 15404 on the back.  It seems to be all there and in good condition and potentially a candidate for restoration.  

I have zero idea what it is.  After googling it might be a Martin but not sure or what vintage.
I did spend a little on it and hoping it was not learning experienc lol.

looking for some education please and if I should attempt to polish it or leave the patina as is.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by corpblues
    (4 posts)

3 years ago

Re: American Professional CL 15504

Doing my some searching I think I'm narrowing in on what it "might" be.

Might be a C. G. Conn Wonder Improved & Wonder Perfected - Elkhart INDfrom 1909-1910
    But it only has American Professional on the front instead of wonder, and I don't see Conn on or any maker it.  But the pictures seem to match and the serial number does also.

Would appreciate some feedback from the experts on what it is.

Also would appreciate advice if I should have it restored and ballpark of what that might cost.

Oh, the serial number is 15404, not 15504.  I've not been able to find one this old to compare to.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

That is a Martin (beveled tone holes)

C melody (C)

In Low pitch, a=440 (L)

It is an early version, prior to 1930.

This would be considered a Stencil.

Someone paid Martin to have the name American Professional put onto the bell, therefore the name Martin does not appear.

Possibly the low C key guard has been replaced by a Conn key guard at one point.

The Mercedes emblem key guard at the bow was used on Conn, but I have not seen it on a Martin. Does it appear to have been resoldered on at some point?

So, it is in the key of C, so you can play the same guitar music and it will be in key.

Not much value. Maybe 200 bucks. I assume you also have the neck to it.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by corpblues
      (4 posts)

3 years ago

Thanks for the information.

Yes I have the entire saxophone and the original case. 
      Here are a few more pictures.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
      (842 posts)

3 years ago

I'm leaning towards it being made by Couturiere, who produced a lot of stencils with beveled toneholes.  The toneholes on this example differ from the Martin ones in that they have a straight, rather than concave, bevel.  That's in addition to having the un-Martin Mercedes logo C key guard and chromatic F mechanism.  Those two details suggest a Conn from the era when they were still producing soldered-on toneholes, but the joint bands don't look like those on Conns.

Reply To Post