Saxophone Forum

by TobySax1
(4 posts)
3 years ago

HELP! Conn 10m

Hey guys! I've been looking for a 10m and finally found a contender! It's a pre war 36 10m tenor with a bit of work needed. I'm up to scratch on what to look for in terms of rolled tone hole levels, pads, body bend etc. But there were a few things I wanted to check with a forum! The keywork is silver as you can see in the photos however I'm not too sure if conn ever did a pre war model tenor in silver? If so is this just a case of the body being buffed but not the keys? Or is this replaced keywork. Any tips and help would be really awesome! Thanks :) 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

Re: HELP! Conn 10m

TO ME....It looks like it was originally all silver, or all brass and the keys were later plated silver. If there is not much wear to the silverkeys, I would assume the keys were replated and the body stripped of either its lacquer or the silver plating. You can usually tell if it had silver on the body by looking very closely to the rolled tone holes, looking for minute touches of silver the buffing processed missed.

In any event, there was pre war all silver plated, all lacquered, and silver with gold plated keys examples. The look you have, I feel is an after market thing. But, it is just cosmetic, so enjoy your 10M.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by TobySax1
      (4 posts)

3 years ago

Thanks for the response :) I haven't brough it yet but it's definitely a contender! I'm also looking at a signature custom raw, Hanson LX and Kenilworth SX90R. Going to play through them all over the next week to decide! Would you be worried about leaking rolled tone holes? Or is this something that can be easily repaired? 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

3 years ago

Well, I deal in American vintage horns, so here is my input.

Conn rolled tone holes work wonderfully with Conn Resonator pads. If set up correctly, the right pad sizes fits  snuggly, no glue is needed. But if other pads are used, they are glued in. Small adjustments can be made to remove minor leaks, heat gun. Raising the pad slightly using a large needle, like a baritone sax needle spring. Bending keys to close a leak is not something I would do. The Bell keys are on the left side of the bell, sort of old school. The keywork is somewhat primitive, considering new horns have the most up to date Selmer type keywork. Conn keywork will also bend easier than keywork that is "hard stamped" out. But, nothing beats the old Conn 10M sound if that is the sound you are looking for. The vintage 40s to 60s sound.

The other two models are newer horns. Truly the decision is up to you. Value wise, Id prefer the Conn if it was cosmetically original. It will hold a good value depending on what you pay for it.

Id stick closer to 2600 or less on that particular horn. Look around at what is being charges for a 10M from the sax sites. Saxquest, Junkdude, PM winds, Tenor Madness, if you can deal with their new quirky web site.

There is too much input from one stranger.

Buy what you like. Thats the true advice here.

Good Luck

Reply To Post