Saxophone Forum

by TobySax1
(4 posts)
3 years ago

Rolled Tone Holes

Hey guys! Thanks for being so responsive to my last post. I have a question about the rolled tone holes on a 1936 10m. I know it's been buffed however, all but two tone holes are actually in perfect condition and seem to be sitting roughly level! The one thing I spotted that I can't find any information about is that two of the tone holes seem to be warped where 90% of the tone hole is rolled but there's a lip that isn't rolled. Not too sure how easy this is to repair and would it require re-rolling the tone holes? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Rolled Tone Holes

That's a very bad sign indicating buffing damage to the tone hole rims.  Repairing such damage is a job for a top-end technician and will be costly.  My understanding is that a damaged rim can be replaced with a soldered-on ring salvaged from a Conn res-o-pad, but that is a job strictly for experts.  Also, if there is that degree of damage to the tone holes from buffing, there is a strong possibility that overbuffing has occurred on the posts, which can cause excessive play in the keywork.  Pass on that instrument unless you can get a full estimate of repair costs from a technician with expertise in old Conns and those costs are reflected in the sale price.

Reply To Post

1. by TobySax1
      (4 posts)

3 years ago

Thanks for this advice. As I said the damage is extremely minor and all but two of the tone holes are in perfect order. The horn is currently being sold at £1,650 and I am waiting an estimation from my tech. All of the posts look In a good condition and don't seem to be damaged in terms of excessive play. What do you think of this price? When I say minor, the best possible way I could describe it would be a less than 3mm section of 2 of the tone holes are missing the lip slightly. Let me know what you think! 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

3 years ago

Since you already have a tech looking at it, they're in a much better position to advise you than some yobbo not familiar with your local market talking across the internet.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

3 years ago

This looks to be an all too familiar situation when someone asks a question, but did not get the answer they want.  I agree with GFC.  Unless your tech is unusually skilled, you should run, not walk away from this horn.
        The price looks to be low for a 10M in good condition.  The low price seems to reflect the problem with the horn.
        It is obviously your decision, but please don't buy it and then ask for advice on how to stop low D warble, or D2 stuffiness. 

Reply To Post