Saxophone Forum

by agc8
(25 posts)
3 years ago

Cost of Rampone & Cazani tenors and alto's

Does any one know the current pricing for the "2 Voices" tenors and alto's? The price range. I'm asking out of curiostiy. I'm sure they're well out of my budget....as are all flagship horns. 

Also, I'd love to hear from owners. What made you buy one (or more) over a  Mark VI (or in addition to...)? Do you play the 2V more than any other of  your horns?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Cost of Rampone & Cazani tenors and alto's

Condensed into three words, way too much.  They're beautifully conceived and designed horns, but reports from the tech front are that the workmanship is not what someone could reasonably expect on such a high-priced horn.  Not a good situation to go deep into your pockets for a new dream horn and find out that well over a grand worth of tweaking is required to get it working right.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
      (25 posts)

3 years ago

Interesting to hear.  Though so far only from one comment (not that I don't believe you). Seems many Italian made products have this great reputation but actually don't always produce product with the quality or reliablity as we'd expect from  a $7500 USD PLUS horn...

Maybe if waran ty's are important to us we should stick with names  like Yamaha, Yanagisawa...etc. 

What is Selmer-Paris' rep? As far as quality/reliablity:Cost? 

I don't think any one wants to be stuck paying  extra for work/materials to bring a new horn to satisfactory playing condition. :) We  all know the Japanese horns  have a good rep...

Why did you go with P. Mauriat?  You're okay with Made in Taiwan?  Does P. Mauriat have a better rep than R&C?

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

3 years ago

Like FIAT..

Fix it again Tony.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
          (25 posts)

3 years ago

LOL! Like even Ferrari. They have all that marketing and owrship to the name. They do race professionally and win. But thier cars aren't bullet proof.  At least not their street cars. 

Still wonder about Selmer-Paris, Conn...King's, Martin's...yes they are vintage...so there's that. Guess with all vintage horns it would depend what condition the shop selling the horns is selling them in. Good shop should have brought the horns to playing condition before selling. 

Maybe I'll stick with JP horns...though I do like the Selmer-Paris Series 3's...alto and tenor...

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

OW!!  haha  Borgani is the same way, with some "bella! bella!" horns but disappointing quality.  Neither company seems to have brought their game up on the quality end after all their years in the low end market.   

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
        (842 posts)

3 years ago

I don't own a Mauriat and probably never will, although I think they are a solid outfit apart from all the silly pseudo-Frenchy stuff.  If I were in the market for a new horn I would probably go with something Taiwanese, since they're the ones who offer horns that suit my American vintage sensibilities with a reasonable combination of quality and price.  

If you can get a hold of a good Selmer they're great, but you'll take a big hit on the "Selmer tax."  Apparently the Reference horns have more consistent quality than the SA80/II horns, but they cost a bunch more.  Reference 54 Alto and Reference 36 tenor seem to be the current production that please buyers most consistently.  The vintage Selmer market is a costly swamp that I will happily not be trying to navigate.  

Yanagisawa and Yamaha make fine quality instruments, but players with my personal tastes aren't invited to that party.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
          (25 posts)

3 years ago

There's a P. Mauriat ad attached to your post. At least I see it. Quickly looking at it I didn't realize it was an ad. :)

Taiwanese. Hmmm...Call me biased. I'm not comfortable sinking my cjoin into anything made in a country that hasn't established themselves for quality and reliablity like the Japanese, Germans...French? Shrug. Wondering about Selmer-Paris...what their rep has been the last decade...I'm interested in the Series 3 alto's and Tenors. 

Like Yamaha's now..82z alto..tenor..guess you're not coming to MY party. WINK. I like horns with some "back". Conn 10M's, 6M's, King Super 20's...and I WAS thinking Rampone...liked the sounds I heard...but the first comment said they aren't what they're "advertised" to be. True? First time I've heard that said. 

Yanagisawa. Great company. Excellent build quality. But the sound is not my preference...too "silky smooth". Some like that. 

To each his her own. :)

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

There's nothing infallible about German or French build quality, no matter how wonderful some German or French instruments are.  Some runs of my favorite Euro horn, the Keilwerth SX-90R, were plagued with warped toneholes.  It's just something for me to be aware of should I ever decide to get one.  Mark VI fanciers have a host of build quality uncertainties to deal with.  And the mediocre French manufacturers outnumbered the good ones.  

The quality of early, like 1990s era, Taiwanese instruments has nothing to do with the quality of their instruments today.  There's a lot of static that's been handed down through the years on the internet as a sort of folk wisdom, even though it has nothing to do with current reality.  And, frankly, some of that anti-Asian saxophone stuff comes from people who seem to feel personally threatened that some Asian upstart can challenge much more costly European instruments.  And guess where Selmer Paris is outsourcing assembly and parts for their new Seles/Axos line.

I'm having a little trouble detecting a theme in what you want from an instrument.  You like the Series 3? Great, go for it.  If that's your thing, maybe the 82z would also float your boat. But the old Conns and Super 20s seem to be towards the opposite end of the spectrum.  

Reply To Post

3. by agc8
          (25 posts)

3 years ago

Anti-Asian feelings aimed at upstarts that challenge the big Euro ocmpanies?  News to me. Who's feeling this way? Where did you hear this sfrom? Other forum members? 

I'd think the only way an ISHIMORI mgiht challenge a big Euro company like Buffet Crapon is in "perceived sound quality or type". Maybe some people are finding they prefer the sounds from  an ISHIMORI over a Keilwerth SX90 or MKX. 

Regarding what I  prefer to hear in horns (e.g. "bark")..you mentioned you feel Conn's and King's are at the other end of a Yamaha or Selmer P Series 3?  How so?  Many agree Conn's do have that "bark" some people like...

Also...not sure if it was you who said...didn't own a Mauriat and would never (wonder why not?). And why he would look at Taiwanese horns for that "vintage sound" vs getting a vintage sax (Martin, Conn, Selmer P SBA...etc.)...

Reply To Post

4. by GFC
          (842 posts)

3 years ago

I don't have an infinite amount of time to put into a thread that goes nowhere, so let's focus on understanding what you really want from a horn.  I don't understand what you mean by "back" or "bark" as a sound quality.  I suspect you don't want a horn that sounds like a dog barking.  So let's start with "bright" and "dark" as commonly used, though not all-encompasing, descriptors of sound quality.  "Bright" refers to a sound with a lot of upper harmonics, which is considered a "modern" sound.  You would have a lot of options among current production horns if that's your preference.  "Dark" refers to a sound with a harmonic content more towards the lower end of the spectrum.  It's more associated with American vintage horns, especially Conns.  There are fewer options in current production for that, but the Keilwerth SX90R and some Taiwanese horns are examples.  The classic "Selmer" sound is somewhere in between, with a lot of midrange harmonics.  Only you can decide what you prefer.  

Please re-read this thread carefully before you respond, to avoid misunderstandings such as the one you showed with reference to my comment about P. Mauriat.  And please try not to ramble in your response.

Reply To Post