Saxophone Forum

by cobra_sam
(11 posts)
19 years ago

What sax to buy ???

I purchased one of those cheap Galaxy (west German)Tenor sax's to learn on and have been playing 50's and 60's music. I feel that I want to take it to the next level so I want to buy a new Sax. Here is the problem. I love the tone of the older Sax but only have $2000 to spend, it is confusing with all those different models out there some direction from the people that know and love Sax will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sam

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cjbass
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What sax to buy ???

I personally would stay with names like Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, and Keilworth. For 2k selmer would be out but I picked up a Yanagisawa T901 for just over 2k and I love it. Take a look at the other intermidiate horns also, you will be better off buying a good quality intermidiate horn than a poor quality professional one.

Reply To Post

1. by tommyt
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

I bought a Selmer 80s Super Action Series II for just 1900 and it's been the best horn I have played. I got it from our guy that does our repair work for my school, you might ask some repair shops around you or a small sales shop to keep a lookout and help you out. They might be able to find a great horn for good price. Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

There are many nice vintage saxophones that are well within your price range Sam. I would suggest either a Buescher 400, Conn 10M, King Zephyr, Martin Committee. You should be able to find one in really good shape for less than $2000. They're all great horns! Good Luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by cobra_sam
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you all for the relpy. I am looking at good used ones too, but a bit afraid to purchase over the Internet from say e-bay, without actually trying it out. The thing that scares me is people that want big prices for a used sax and their descriptions says "near perfect" and when you look at the pictures it is dented, scratched and has big patches where all the laquer is off. Has anyone had good dealings with Sam Ash ? Thank you all again ... this is a great site. Regards Sam.

Reply To Post

1. by saxskillzyamaha
        (52 posts)

18 years ago

i believe you will be safe with a yamaha yts-52, yts-62 a selmer serie II or III if you can find one under 2k or a conn 10m, ive played all of them and own a yts-52 and love it, soon it will become my bang-around horn but it is great for some who wants a good player with great action and a large, projective sound good for jazz.

Reply To Post

1. by cobra_sam
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you, I am at present looking at a brand new condition YTS62 for $1800 ... is this a good price ?

Reply To Post