Saxophone Forum

by jeffcrawford
(4 posts)
2 years ago

Four Vintage Horns - How to Sell?

I inherited four vintage horns – one of each size – several decades ago…

Buescher Straight Soprano, silver, Serial No. 125601

King Alto, silver, Serial No. 44665

King Tenor, gold lacquer, Serial No. 165264

Cleveland Baritone, gold lacquer, Serial No. C-29915

All of them are complete and playable to some extent, without major dents, but all need reconditioning to be played regularly.

I could play sax at one point, but I haven’t played in many years.  I never actually played these horns, other than trying them out, and would like to sell them.  What’s the best way?  Should I sell them as a group, or individually?  What’s the best way to ship the larger ones once they’re sold?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

2 years ago

Re: Four Vintage Horns - How to Sell?

You are close to Philly, so I would put them on Craigslist for sure.
    I myself would be interested in the soprano. If I got a deal. There is one listed here in Cincinnati for 1300.00. It has been on and off Craigslist for a few years. So, anybody should realize you got to lower the price to sell it. 

King's best horns started with the Zephyr. Before that, which your Tenor and Alto are, dont get as much money as the Zephyr or the upper end later Super 20s models.
    500 for the alto 750 for the tenor is your going to sell range.

The Baritone is a more recent, 1960s, student level horn. 1350 is a good start with that.

Then if you indeed have to ship it, research packing a saxophone for shipping on Google and you can become an expert quickly.

Buescher sopranos are known for their sweet sound, so I think that is the jewel of your group.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by jeffcrawford
      (4 posts)

2 years ago

Thanks, that's really helpful stuff.  They all need some work; are your estimates pre or post reconditioning, and if post, how much should I deduct in current condition?

Regarding the Baritone, I get the "C" stands for Cleveland and it's a student horn made by HN White.  But it looks on Cleveland, American Standard, Gladiator, and Tempo Band Instruments. (hnwhite.com) like it was made in the early 30's.  Is that not the case?

Thanks again for the help!

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

2 years ago

Your Baritone is probably older than I thought. But, I would place the same value on it. The values I gave are as is. As I look at the picture, I feel more pictures would give a better explanation as to what you have. The Newer Cleveland is somewhat a stripped down versopn of the Zephyr. You have an older pre Zephyr example there I think.

On average, a refurbishing, or a new setup of bads and cork is going to cost in the 500 or more per instrument. A good Complete Refurbishing will cost more to have it set up by an experienced Tech that has history with older instruments.

Reply To Post

1. by jeffcrawford
          (4 posts)

2 years ago

Got it.  Thanks again!

Reply To Post

2. by jeffcrawford
          (4 posts)

2 years ago

@historicsaxwhisperer I sent you a friend request, please accept it when you get the chance.

Reply To Post