Saxophone Forum

by hagalaz00
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Hohner soprano sax

People, a friend of mine is offering me a "vintage" Hohner soprano sax. He bought that sax in Paris ten years ago. The sax seems to be from the '80, and have a very short serial number, only four digits. I don't have information about Hohner saxophones...where were they manufactured? are they good, bad or awful? I thank you in advance for your answer.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Hohner soprano sax

Hohner is a German company , but as of late have outsourced a lot of stuff to China. Their chromatic accordions are revered on the same level as a Fender stratocaster guitar. Hohner is not known for their saxophones. I would say that if the horn was made in Gernany it is probably decent. I have heard bad stuff about the intonation on the Chinese accordions. I hope that doesn't carry over to sexophones. Their harmonicas are excellent. Hope it works out for you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by hagalaz00
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

Gracias for the answer. I had information about other Hohner instruments, like accordions and harmonicas, but I didn’t know about Hohner soprano saxes. Although I play alto, it is not easy to me to check the quality of the tone of the instrument, given that the current mouthpiece of the sax is a Selmer for classic, and I usually play with open mouthpieces, so I have to try with another mouthpiece to really test the quality of the horn. If somebody have more information about Hohner saxes, I will appreciate it.

Reply To Post

1. by oorwullie
        (21 posts)

18 years ago

the german hohners are not bad at all. i have a president tenor,probably 60's.it's silver with white gold bell. i don't have any definate info on serial numbers but will post here if i come across anything.

Reply To Post

1. by carlos
          (1 post)

18 years ago

hola, yo también tengo un president hohner tenor, esta en buen estado y sé que fue elaborado por hohner alemania con licencia de keilwerth en 1967 aproximadamente. Suena bien y aunque pienso venderlo para comprar uno Jupiter, aún no he decido si lo haré o no. Como esta el tuyo, todavía lo tienes? como suena? tienes alguna referencia de estos saxofones? Haber si respondes a [email protected] adios.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Would some kind soul be willing to translate the previous post for those of us who understand more Greek than Spanish?

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Here is the translation afrom babelfish.altavista.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------- hello, I also have president to hohner tenor, this in good state and know that she was elaborated by approximately hohner Germany with license of keilwerth in 1967. It sounds or and although I think to sell it to buy one Jupiter, not yet I have I decide if I will do it or no. Like this yours, still you have it? as it sounds? you have some reference of these saxofones? To have if you respond [email protected] good bye. ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Michelle, Here we go: Hi, I also have a Hohner President tenor that is in good condition. It is a German manufactured Hohner. It is approximately a 1967 licensed by Keilworth. It sounds good. Even though i'm thinking about selling it to buy a Jupiter, I haven't decided yet. How is yours? Do you still have it? How does it sound? Do you have e some reference or information on these saxophones? I'll see if you respond.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

5. by hagalaz00
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Hi everybody, A long time passed since I started this topic. Since then, I refused to purchased the Hohner soprano, because: 1) These seem to be a Taiwan made horns, manufactured circa 1985, and are not related to the old and legendary Hohner Presidents made by Keilwerth many years ago. As far as I can know, those were only tenors. 2) It was not a good quality horn. Finally, I decided to purchase a Yani/Vito, one of those Mark VI clones form the mid 70s that start to be recognized as really good sopranos. In fact, that sop is an amazing one, with a extremely good intonation, even better than my Yani alto. I use it with a Otto Link Tenney Customed mouthpiece, and the sound is simply gorgeous. Forget the Hohner sopranos that, by the way, seem to be more popular in Europe, where they were initially marketed.

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the translations!

Reply To Post