Saxophone Forum

by judyth
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Help with reeds

Although I have been playing alto sax for a long time (mainly amateur concert band stuff), I am woefully ignorant about equipment options. I have been using Vandoren #3, and recently tried Hemke #3. I love the tone quality but find that I am using more air and consequently not able to sustain long phrases. I am not young and have some lung problems. Would a Hemke 2 1/2 or 2 be a good alternative? Any other suggestions? I have recently been playing lead alto doing some Big Band -type music with another group, using the same reed. I need to get more volumn for that group and am not sure what modifications I should try with mouthpiece, reed, etc. My mouthpiece is a Selmer C star. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Rabbit
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help with reeds

I would be glad to give my two cents. I am a junior in college and I am a saxophone performance major, so I have tried everything. I don't mind the Selmer C* mouthpiece for concert/classical use, but for jazz, esp. playing lead alto, you need a big sound with flexibility. Try a meyer or an otto link, these models are easy to play and lend a brighter, more projecting sound than the C*. I would try the 2 1/2 Hemkes, a key is to find the balance between good resistance and biting though your lip and exploding your head!! Trial and error is that the only way to find your "sound" try everything that you can; reeds, mouthpieces, etc. Of course practice is at the top of the list.

Reply To Post

1. by saxtech
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help with reeds

For Alto .. I like a Meyer Mouthpiece with Rico Plasticover Reeds

Reply To Post