Saxophone Forum

by wolfercdat
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Buescher C or B?

I've been reading almost all of the posts and cannot find the answer to my question...probably because I know little to nothing about this sax, other than I learned to play it for 1 year in highschool. I purchased it for $20 when I was 12 because it was so tarnished it was black; still had a moldy green reed on it; and holes in the original pads; plus the antique dealer hadn't a clue what it was. Through your outstanding posts I have learned that it is a Buescher Two Tone from around 1920 (serial number 95825). I had it restored many years ago (it has since tarnished again!) and I remember it being silver with brass inlays (also inside the bell) with mother-of-pearl keys. Positively beautiful, especially for $20. The problem is that in one of our moves the mouthpiece broke and I am now trying to replace it. However, I keep reading that it is important to make sure you put a C mouthpiece on a C instrument. Unfortunately, I can't find a reference that can tell me what to look for or measure that will tell me if it is a C or Bb. Can someone help? I did measure the instrument from the bell to the neck and it is 22 inches (don't know if that helps) Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by charless9833
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buescher C or B?

AS TO THE TARNISH, PROBLEM, GO TO THE JEWELRY STORE & PURCHASE SOME ANTI TARNISH STRIPS THAT ARE USUALLY PLACED IN THE SILVER WARE BOXES & THAT WILL HELP KEEP THE TARNISH TO A MINUM AFTER YOU HAVE THE SAX CLEANED. DON'T LET THEM TOUCH THE SAX. THANKS, CHARLIE

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Charles maybe You can help, I just bought a Buescher Soprano Bu3?? can You tell Me anything about the Horn. Thank You

Reply To Post

1. by charless9833
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

All I know is the Bescher's are considered to be great horns. The mouthpiece is the most critical part of pitch, etc. I don't have a Buescher sop. I have a Tenor & it sounds great. Charlie

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Just a guess here, but I don't think it would be a problem to put a regular tenor mouthpiece on a C-Melody, particluarly if the chamber is not too large.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Its not a big deal to use a tenor piece sound-wise, but it does nothing good for the intonation. You need to get a C-melody mpc for a C melody horn. Check out the one made by Ruyon, it is a current production piece, and its pretty good for a c-mel piece. Another company makes a current production mpc, but I dont remember who right now, sorry!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by wolfercdat
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for the posts; however it still doesn't answer the basic question of how do I find out if the Buescher is a C or not? I am assuming that if it's a run of the mill Bb Soprano Sax then it doesn't matter as much what mouthpiece I use as long as it fit. Correct? Thank you again.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

18 years ago

I've had better intonation, personally, playing large chambered alo pieces on a C Mel than small chambered tenor pieces, but that's kind of a personal thing. BUT I played a Runyon C Melody piece and it's intonation was superb to the other alto or tenor trials I did. We are talking about a C Melody between alto and tenor, aren;t we? If we're talking about C sopranos, let me know as I have both and make custom mouthpieces for both. There's a slight difference between the two, but one can normally be played on the other, though when putting a Bb mpc on a C sop, if the shank is too long, it can run into the octave pip preventing you from getting iton there far enough. email me if you wnat further details.

Reply To Post

2. by wolfercdat
            (5 posts)

18 years ago

Unfortunately, all I know is that it's a soprano sax. Do you know how I determine if it's a C soprano or a Bb Soprano?

Reply To Post

3. by definition
            (963 posts)

18 years ago

put it up to a tuner, how tuneable is it? Also soo if you can find some other people with sopranos, and compare lengths. I unfortuenatley dont remember the average lengths for sops/ c sops

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by Saxon
            (100 posts)

18 years ago

22 inches long is a C soprano! Many people use a Bb soprano mouth piece and they seem to have no intonation problems, (small size difference) Try a shorter shank mpc! Goddards make some great silver polish products I think about $9 for something that will clean it up like new. If you have too much trouble please let me know and I might buy it from you? Good luck!

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, my answer was for the C-melody, which looks like a tenor, but is shorter. My Bb soprano Sax measures 25 1/2 inches from the floor to the tip of the neck. However, if yours is curved, I can't help. Do not put a Tenor mouthpiece on a soprano. :-)

Reply To Post

6. by wolfercdat
            (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks to a wonderful gentleman at saxquest I found out it's a C Soprano!!!! Now for me to find a mouthpiece...thank you all very much for the assistance.

Reply To Post

7. by Saxon
            (100 posts)

18 years ago

Please let us know if you find a mpc! I'd like to know if there are alternatives that work?

Reply To Post

8. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

18 years ago

I can make you a custom C-soprano mouthpiece and ship it to you for $100, assuming you are in the U.S. It would be made "brand new" from a vintage Buescher blank. email me from my profile if you are interested. I have pictures of a piece I made for a recent client I can share with you.

Reply To Post