Saxophone Forum

by maggie89
(37 posts)
18 years ago

Identifying a Conn Alto sax

Hi I've only bin play sax 7 years so i am a nebie to the identifying of saxes. I got this conn a couple of years ago to replace my begginer sax, but i don't know when it was made or the exact model that it is; here the facts: serial no.=993718 it says 6M on it and the something beneath that which i can't read It's a gold brassy colour with silver keys and pearl bits. the engraving on the bell says CONN, ELKHART IND, U.S.A Which is surrounded by a sort of flowery pattern it has an underslund octave key. the neck has no micro tuner and no Fsharp key. there you go i hope you can help me also would a meyer mouthpiece suit this sax for jazz style music thnx James

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bilboh
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Identifying a Conn Alto sax

My son's Conn Alto Saxa has a serial number KO7905. Can anyone tell me its significance?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Conn began adding letter prefixes to it's saxophone line in 1963 (besides the earlier "M" catalog prefix which stood for "Saxophone"), starting with the letter "C". "K" indicates a manufacture date of 1967, however the "0" before the 5 digit serial number (or included in that number), might indicate a more recent horn. I'm not familiar with Conn's cataloging and serial number system beyond the 1960's era, as most horns after this period are not professional or collectible quality for the most part. A photo(s) will be required to pinpoint this data, and identify the exact model type.

Reply To Post

2. by claytonp1225
    (1 post)

16 years ago

I was trying to identify a conn 20m with a serial # of N260839

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

16 years ago

Hi Clayton, Your's is a student level horn made in 1970 at Conn's Nogales, AZ plant. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by TonyBeezer
        (3 posts)

9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have a Conn Alto Sax N125807 and I've looked around and seen that the N could mean the Sax was manufactured in the 1970's however this Sax was from my Grandfather and seems pretty old so I was wondering if it's possible this Sax was manufactured earlier?

Can anyone give me any information about this Sax? I've also attached some images.

Thanks and regards.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

That's one of the dreaded "Mexi-Conns" from the 1970s.

Reply To Post

2. by TonyBeezer
          (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for this info. Does this mean it was manufactured in Mexico? Why was it 'dreaded'? Lastly, we're looking to sell it on Gumtree, how much would it be valued at? Thanks again for your assistance.

Reply To Post

3. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

Yes, it was manufactured in Nogales, Mexico, in a free trade zone just across the border from Nogales, Arizona.  The Mexican made Conns are infamous for being made in the absolute cheapest manner possible, with poor design and workmanship that makes them next to impossible to keep in good playing condition.  I can see several things in your second photograph alone that indicate a poorly made horn.  The Bb, B, and C key arms do not extend nearly far enough over the keycups, resulting in flimsy keys that would go out of adjjustment and leak very easily.  The front F mechanism looks flimsy and poorly designed. The gap between the front F pearl and its bezel at the arm suggests that flexing has occured there - a sign of flimsiness.  It appears that something gray (solder?) has been added to the G keytouch arm in an attempt to reinforce it - a sign that unwanted flex has been a problem. Who knows what a hands-on inspection would reveal.  

These horns have very little value, and for good reasons.

Reply To Post

4. by TonyBeezer
          (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for this information. I played this horn at school and was always too embarrased to play during orchestra performances due to the unpredictable squealing. Now I've been vindicated - I never had a chance! This will make lively conversation tonight at dinner. Thanks again.

Reply To Post

2. by memphis_blues
        (1 post)

16 years ago

Hello I have a old dark brown conn, don't know much about this kind of stuff but it has a SN# 11441. I've searched a lot of website and not getting much info about this horn. I also have a bari that I got 10 or 11 years ago that's a low A conn SN N118976. Thanks for any information.

Reply To Post

3. by maggie89
        (37 posts)

18 years ago

Also the 6M mark is on the back under the metal thumbrest. the stamp i can't fully read says something like PAT ADD'D FOR.... then there is nothing

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

6M is the model number, and its a very nice pro horn you have there, made by the Conn company. Ive played a number of those over the years, they're great.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by maggie89
            (37 posts)

18 years ago

thanks fot the info i love playing it. do you know when it was made

Reply To Post

1. by definition
              (963 posts)

18 years ago

The serial number indicates manufacture in the year 1962

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Maggie, Definition is right. It's a 1962 Conn 6M. I play one professionally and I love it! It's the best sounding alto sax I have ever heard. They're quite valuable too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Frankus12
              (1 post)

15 years ago

Hey, I know this is an old post, but at my high school, we just realized we have a missing Mark Vi. Anyway, because of this, I am using a Conn 6M. It does not have the G# trill key, or the neck, tuner thing. It says 6M under the thumb rest, then PAT APP'D FOR. The number is 661068. On the bell, it says Made by C.G. Conn LTD. Elkhart IND. USA, and there is a picture of a lady. If you can help, how old is this sax, and is it any good?

Reply To Post

4. by maggie89
              (37 posts)

18 years ago

thanks again for the info, its just what i was hoping for thank you maggie89

Reply To Post

5. by maggie89
              (37 posts)

18 years ago

What mouthpiece would you recommend for my sax. i was thinking of getting a meyer, would this suit the sax

Reply To Post

6. by maggie89
              (37 posts)

18 years ago

i got a otto link "super tone master" 6 yesterday and i love it the sound i'm getting from it blows me away. if you don't mind me askin connsaxman what mouthpiece do you used with your 6m thanks maggie

Reply To Post

7. by chiamac
              (586 posts)

18 years ago

I have a super tone master on my tenor... it's great! I should look into one for my alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

On my 6M, I use an Otto Link Tone Edge 6* hard rubber mouthpiece. I have a Super Tone Master also, but it's a little too bright for some of the stuff I play alto on. I use a Super Tone Master on tenor, and I love it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Campbell
            (1 post)

3 months ago

Help is needed please  I have an old one possibly 50 -60 years or so, It is a Conn Alto with a serial number of only 4 digits 3779 - Would really appreciate some input thanks

Reply To Post