Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
18 years ago

Nete MC

Has anybody tried a NETe "paul desmond" mouthpiece? It is supposed to be a copy of a gregory. any opinions? Ive never heard of this company

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Nete MC

I don't think that too many people here have heard Paul Desmond play live, myself included. In the days in which his famous recordings were made, there was an emphasis on eliminating tape noise, tinny edged sound (too much treble), and and to get a lot of bass response. EQ was primitive in those days. Paul used a 4 opening with an 18 chamber which is medium. The mouthpiece that you are talking about will most likely have limited range. I don't think that you will have much high end. If you just want to try to emulate Paul Desmond, perhaps you will love it. To my way of thinking it's a $75.00 gadget with which to tinker. If money is no object, it might be fun to have one. I don't think it's practical. Hope it works out for you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Augman
      (29 posts)

18 years ago

Interesting resposnce. Why would it have a limited range? And, can you recomend another mouthpiece for a similar sound for alto?

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I think Nete may have overcompensated to get that cool jazz sound. I am willing to bet that it probably plays out of tune in the high register. I would recommend a MC Gregory 5A-20, which is very expensive. Secondly I recommend a Meyer 5. I think if Nete is hyping a Paul Desmomd sound, that the mouthpiece is bottom heavy. Desmond used a MC Gregory 4A-18. The 5A-20 has more range. The average person will have trouble playing altissimo with a 4 opening, and perhaps will play out of tune on the high end. If you are playing at a high level, you probably won't have any problems. The bottom line is that I don't want you to waste your money on a gimmick. Keep me posted :)

1. by Augman
          (29 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks again. Im putting that in my notes. It seems the 4A-18 is very expensive . I am very curious to try a gregory 5A-20. Right now I use a Meyer 5 and a mark 6 alto and I like it alot , very sweet and not to shrill. I like this site because I can talk to other people who are as sick as I am , that care about this type of thing. Have you tried a gregory?

Reply To Post

2. by Augman
          (29 posts)

18 years ago

I just looked at Mouthpiece heavon . The 5A-20 is about half the price of a 5A-18 or 4A-18. Would the bigger chamber make it brighter? Are the others more expensive because they where used by desmond and cannonball ?

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

I tried a 4A-16 and it was too weak. I think if I ever buy one it will be a 5A -20 because it's affordable. I would love to compare the the 5A-20 and the 5A-18. Because of Desmond and Adderly. those 18'S are really expensive. I use a Meyer 5 on my MK VI , and a Selmer metal 6 for rock. The 5A-20 ia tempting. those 18'S cost almost as much as my alto did. I paid $450. for it in 1966 new. Keep me posted :)