Saxophone Forum

by poolio
(1 post)
18 years ago

Where to try mouthpieces in the UK?

Hi all, I've recently started playing my sax again after many years of inactivity. I've joined a couple of bands and have started practicing again in earnest, and I think the stock mpc which came with my Yamaha YAS25 is beginning to limit me. I realise the YAS25 is not a great sax, but I won't be upgrading that for some time, so I think a new mouthpiece will be the best step up I can take for the time being. Researching all the mpc options is starting to send me a little insane! A widely held opinion seems to be that you need to physically try out a range of mpcs, which sounds sensible. Does anyone know of any good shops in the UK which stock a range of good quality mpcs? I'd be looking for fairly high-end pieces, in the £100-£250 (US$200-500) range. If anyone does have any specific opinions on which mouthpieces I should try out, I'd be glad to hear them, though I realise it's entirely subjective. I play mainly funk, soul, solos over house music and drum & bass. So I want a nice bright sound, but I want it to be warm, not tinny. I also love playing bebop and blues, but might consider a second, darker mpc for that. Any ideas on a good store and/or mpc welcome!! Thanks very much, Anthony

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Where to try mouthpieces in the UK?

Depends where you live in the UK, john myatts is a great shop in Hitchin Hertfordshire Dave

Reply To Post