Saxophone Forum

by Dub-C
(8 posts)
18 years ago

I need YOUR opinion!

Im looking to buy a intermeiate bari some time soon. I was looking at either getting 1. Selmer 156A 2. Yamaha YBS52 3. Yanagisawa B901 I currently play on a YBS52 in my highschool band. This bari will be needed for concert and jazz band. In the past i have been told that Selmer is better than Yamaha.... But at the same time ive heard tons of stories about the intermediate Yamaha. What would be your choice? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophonik
    (73 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I need YOUR opinion!

In my personal opinion, unless we're talking about a Selmer SA80 II, your best bet will be the Yamaha by far. The American Selmers aren't that good compared to Yamahas. I've played both a YBS52 and a 156A, and the Yamaha blew it out of the water! Tone was much richer, response was much smoother. Even if we WERE talking about a Selmer SA80 II compared to a Yamaha YBS52, I'd STILL probably take the Yamaha over the Selmer... that is, unless I could get the Selmer at the Yamaha price... :)

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

As for the Yani. B901, never had the chance to try one... hopefully someone else can give you a better idea of how that would be compared to the other "intermediate" baris out there...

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

18 years ago

yanagisawa. Yanagisawa doesn't make an intermediate horn - they make entry level pro models, and high end pro models. that b901 will be twice the horn as the yamaha. As yanagisawa makes no student model, yamaha makes no pro-level bari - only one they pruport to be, that comes at slightly less than a series II that plays like their student horns on a small dose of steroids.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Both the Yamaha and the Yanagisawa are great horns. The Yamaha baritones have become extremely popular. They have a good sound and intonation, and they are proven to be very reliable. Many schools prefer Yamaha because of their quality and durability. They're a much better horn than most of the Selmer models. The Yanagisawas have a very nice feel. I wouldn't necessarily say that they play better than the Yamaha, but I do like the action a little better. They also have very giid intonation, but I prefer the sound of the Yamaha. Again, either one are fantastic saxophones and should serve you well. Which one do YOU like best?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Dub-C
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I will probably get the yamaha sense its cheaper. Plus i play one at school and i like it.

Reply To Post

2. by mattia
        (8 posts)

18 years ago

I would say that your best bet would be the Yanagisawa 901 bari. It's a professional, not intermediate, horn. And, Yanagisawas are fantastic. You get so much for so little money (compared to Yamaha/Selmer). I've played the 991 bari, the next level up from the 901, and it was a blast, the ergonomics were great. From what I can tell, the only difference between the 901 and the 991 is the key work, specifically the double arms on the bell keys and stuff like that, that you find on the 991, and won't find on the 901. So in my opinion you'll get the most for your money with the Yanagisawa, go with the pro horn.

Reply To Post