Saxophone Forum

by wenhene
(12 posts)
18 years ago

The Difference Between These Three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ? ? ?

I'm a Jazz learner from Taiwan who's eagering to find a sax witch has a Dark . Fat & Barking sound ( I'm that that good to describe it but definitely NOT a clear & sweet sound ), so I first thing about an Old Conn's Vintage Horn . After discussing with my teacher & viewed the discusing forum , I choose these three Old Conn : 1.New Wonder Models, "Series I" (s/n 41xxx to 143xxx; 1917 to 1924) 2.New Wonder Models, "Series II" (the "Chu Berry" Horns)(s/n 143xxx to 237xxx; 1924 to 1930) 3.New Wonder"Transitional" Models (s/n 235xxx to 263xxx; 1929 to 1935). Could any one tell me what the difference between these three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ( I mean : like sound , keys , horn deign , making process & material ... ) ? Another question : Is there anyone know why they've said it's better to use a Conn's Vintage Horns witch's SN# is over 20xxxx ? Nometter U can answer or not , thx for reading !!! : ) Jay

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: The Difference Between These Three Old Conn's Vintage Horns ? ? ?

All of the models that you mention have rolled tone holes, and will have a similar sound. You didn't mention rather you were looking for a tenor, alto, or baritone. I would not buy a series I alto made before 1922. In 1922, Conn made some major improvements to the action, and added a microtuner neck. The intonation on these later Series I horns was much better. The Series II saw even more improvements to the action and keywork, and intonation also improved. The series II tenors have a very warm, dark sound. The transitional models are those horns made between 1929 and 1934 leading up to the "M" series (6M, 10M, 12M) There are many differences between years. The earlier horns favor the Series II with split bell keys (B and Bb keys on opposite sides of the bell), where the later models have the keys on the same side. Some of the later altos also had the underslung octave key like the 6M. The M series has better keywork, and the intonation is better in the upper octaves and altissimo. On the series I and to some extent the series II, higher notes had a tend to buzz or have a very breathy sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo!