Saxophone Forum

by innocuousmilk
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Buescher True-Tone Sopranos

I'm looking into buying a vintage soprano (most probably a Buescher TT, because I've heard really great things about them!), and I had a question. I'd prefer to try a saxophone before buying it, but I've found a really good deal on a Buescher --- it may need a little work, since it's been in storage for approximately forty years. I'm fairly certain it's silver-plate (did they lacquer TTs at all?), and doesn't show much wear. (Which on one hand is a good thing, but Would it be worth it to buy a sax like that with no trial and no returns, and what's worse, no idea of the tone?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by innocuousmilk
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buescher True-Tone Sopranos

Oh, and I also wanted to ask for opinions on King and Martin Handcraft sopranos, if anyone has any thoughts.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Buescher made the best vintage sops and nearly all were silverplated ,some were pitched in C but most were Bb horns. I wouldn,t bother with a king as the early ones were not the best intonation wise. Martin made a very nice soprano and their stencilled horns were good as well. A lot of the martins only went up to high Eb but not all of them. Try for the buescher true tone you wont be dissapointed. I have a very nice curved conn from around 1922 that is a very fine horn whitch virtually is as new and this one has great intonation but are getting harder to find in good condition Dave

Reply To Post

1. by innocuousmilk
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your opinions! I haven't had a chance to actually play any of saxes from those makers, so it really helps. Becca

Reply To Post

1. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Second opinion - Can't speak for all Kings, but My King Soprano plays in tune - and with a modern mouthpiece (Runyon Custom Spoiler). Maybe it's a matter of adjustment.

Reply To Post

2. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Second opinion - Can't speak for all Kings, but My King Soprano plays in tune - and with a modern mouthpiece (Runyon Custom Spoiler). Maybe it's a matter of adjustment.

Reply To Post

3. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

4. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Buescher curved sop. It only goes up to Eb (1926) An annoying trait but... I have had so many comments about the nice tone!

Reply To Post

6. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

7. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

8. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

9. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

10. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

11. by knighttrain
          (31 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry - don't know why my entry posted multiple times

Reply To Post