Saxophone Forum

by EOTalent
(1 post)
18 years ago

Langenus T-Sax

My 12 yr old daughter and I are novices at saxophones and she just joined the school band last year as a tenor sax player. We have been offered an overhauled Langenus professional T-Saxophone and brand new case for $1100.00 and the seller agrees to buy it back for $700.00 according to wear and tear should she discontinue playing in the band when school ends. It has (new pads, corks, felts, etc.) but the seller says its a Bb tenor sax because all tenor sax are Bb. Is this true? I thought some older sax were C-melody. If all are not B flats, how do you tell? This tenor sax is not as long as the school issued one which makes me question whether or not it is Bb. What questions should I ask the seller? Is this considered a good deal? Did Langenus make T-sax, how can I find out how old the sax is? The patent on the horn says 1914 the serial number starts with 26... Also the sound of this sax is more deep, almost muffled compared to her higher pitch school issued sax (she uses a 4C(?) mouthpiece). How can we change the sound to make the pitch higher or not so muffled on the sax we were offered? What makes a sax a "professional" sax? Please help as I don't want to get taken....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Langenus T-Sax

This sounds odd, the school horn is longer, but higher pitched? Usually a longer horn is lower... I would say if you don't like the sound, don't buy it. You're right, there are C-melody horns that look a lot like a tenor, but they are smaller, so when you play a C, it sounds like a C on the piano. Playing a C on a Bb tenor sounds like a Bb on the piano. I don't know anything about Langenus, maybe someone else can help with that. I am personally very leary if it's a brand I haven't heard before. But if people on this site support it, I take that as a good sign.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Sax Mom is on it again! She is very right. Can you get any pictures of the Langenus horn? That might help some, but otherwise I also would steer clear of it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

have you looked at the cannonball on this site? www.saxquest.com/productDetails.asp?productcode=113540CBallTenor Most people on this site woudl say Cannonball's older then 2001 are good professional horns. Also might want to try an intermediate sax like a Yamaha 52. Don't forget used modern horns. They should be around 1000-1500 for a good intermediate low end prof.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

I mean Newer then 2001!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM