Saxophone Forum

by Rob S
(1 post)
18 years ago

gary sugal and copper saxes

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of either copper saxes or the iV Gary Sugal range of saxes especially the sopranos

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: gary sugal and copper saxes

Run away from anything with sugal's name on it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I usually like to know the reasons things are not good, rather than merely running away from them.

Reply To Post

1. by Datsaxguy
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hi, I think I can speak on Sugal products with some actual experience. I have 4 of his mouthpieces and 2 of his horns. I think his mouthpieces are some of the most high quality pieces on the market. Bright or Dark is a matter of taste as far as sound. He has models that cover both ends. As for the Saxes, I have an antique tenor and alto. These are the Mark IV models. Gary's horns are great buy for the money. THEY ARE NOT STUDENT HORNS. They are pro quality horns. They are not Mark VI's but they are definitely not Taiwanese junk. If I was purchasing a NEW (thats an important word) sax and wanted pro quality, but wanted to spend around 1500.00, I would consider buying. Its usually double that for something new of similiar quality.

Reply To Post

2. by RPSAX67
      (1 post)

18 years ago

Rob, I dont know why that guy said anything bad about Gary's horns but I just got the Copper alto and tenor. I will be buying the soprano and Baritone soon. Both horns are great. Great feel and great sound. The drawback is that you have to use quality mouthpieces on these horns. his mouthpieces are also the best that I have played ever. Some people think Gary is a bad guy etc but his product are definately quality made products. If you are looking for inexpensive horns that are quality built then these are the horns to get. Selmers and Keilworths are definately great horns if Money is no object.

Reply To Post