Saxophone Forum

by The_§ax
(147 posts)
18 years ago

Standing or Sitting for solos

I have a normal Stage band setup, saxes sitting at the front and trumpets and troms standing at tthe back. I find it uncomfortable to stand for every solo that I do. At the current time, i stand at some gigs, and sit for others. what are your opinions? Cheers, The_§ax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by straightj23
    (103 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Standing or Sitting for solos

When we do gigs and any other performances, trumpets stand in the back row, trombones sit on stools (stand for solos), and saxes sit in chairs in front row and stand for solos. I always stand for solos and sometimes, when saxophones or trombones have soli's or parts just for the section, the whole row stands. That's a good time. The director calls the shots when it comes to where we stand and sit, but in performance, we always stand for solos.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by BariSaxMan
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Whenever we rehearse or go to a gig, this is our setup (from left to right from the audience point of view) 1st Row: Tenor 1, Alto 1, Alto 2, Tenor 2, Bari 2nd Row: Trombone 2, Trombone 1, Trombone 3, Bass Trombone 3rd Row: I'm not sure, but I think the Trumpets go 1, 2, 2, 3, 4 Piano, Bass, Drumset, and Guitarist to the left of winds. But the sax's sit, trombones are usually standing, and then the trumpets get a platform to stand on. If we have more than a 16 measure solo, (Our usual is 32 measures+) we stand in our spots, usually there are 2-3 mikes set around the band, and our instructor would place it about a little more than half a foot away from the soloist (At least for me that is, my P. Mauriat Bari with an Otto Link metal mpc and Vandorean ZZ reeds cut through no matter what.) Any soli's the band may have the whole section stands. -BariSaxMan

Reply To Post

3. by Dub-C
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

Take the glory, Stand up.

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

amen, stand up and play for all to be heard. make sure the whole house knows whos playin

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Aye, stand up, play the solo, and give it up for the Gods of Honk!!! Until you get to concert band, then keep your rear firmly planted in your seat until the conductor points you out after the piece

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I'd say it depends on the solo. If you've got a solo in every piece, I could see where standing might become uncomfortable. If so, choose the ones for which you'd most like recognition, and stand for those. You could probably stay seated for short solos that aren't as important.

Reply To Post

2. by Dr.Palacios
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

you should definatly stand man, its proffesional edicate and a tme to showcase your talent and demonstrate what you practice and work for.

Reply To Post

3. by rvsaxbabe
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

definitly stand up! our jazz band has quite a few people so when i get my solos i make it known...but yes in concert band sit and wait for the glory!

Reply To Post AIM

4. by rvsaxbabe
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

definitly stand up! our jazz band has quite a few people so when i get my solos i make it known...but yes in concert band sit and wait for the glory!

Reply To Post AIM

5. by rvsaxbabe
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

18 years ago

stand the hell up dude!! be arrogant about playing your solos.. play it like noone else has ever played it.. its yours at that moment.. move around, close your eyes, and just playyyyyy... have fun up there.. not standing up during your solo is like a beautiful girl that doesnt bring out the best in her beauty.. like a extremely intellegent person that refuses to do his school work... like seeing a porche' with a donut tire on it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by brace_face
            (43 posts)

18 years ago

haha, believe me, he IS arrogant about playing solos!! hehe lol. ya know i luv ya. but hell yeah, stand up!! really need to ask??

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
              (147 posts)

18 years ago

I normally do stand up. But I dont for some solos that arent very........ long.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzina
              (18 posts)

18 years ago

Here is my theory which is somewhat similar to most of the responses but didn't answer your short ansewr questions... 1. Long "JazzBand" solo- get up and give solo a personal touch... 2. Short "JazzBand" solo- groove in your seat unless there is a rest or preperation area in the music that will allow you to stand up... 3. All concert solos... wait till director signals you to "rise" at the end of the song. To make it easy, go with your own judgement but remember "if the solo is good bow at the applause" and credit is given in concert band do not take it (immediately) wink! wink!

Reply To Post

2. by jazzina
            (18 posts)

18 years ago

Hey... Hey... WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH A MODEST GIRL? MODEST GIRLS ARE SO WORTH THE DATE BECAUSE THE MODEST GIRL IS HIDING HER BEAUTY BECAUSE SHE WANTS YOU TO SEE SOMETING ELSE BESIDES HER LOOKS... this has nothing to do with the forum questioned but still don't knock the shy girls okay.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

STAND UP! Put your heart and soul into your performance and let it rip! Don't hold back!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

There is a lot to be said for sweet and innocent. Modesty is a characteristic to be admired. With modesty comes trust and respect. I'm marrying my sweet and modest girl.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

18 years ago

lol woo.. sorry jazzina.. didnt mean to start anything im all for modest girls..=) haha

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

4. by saxgrobie
              (86 posts)

18 years ago

Ha ha ha, I don't think he was downing modesty . . . just being ASHAMED of beauty, perhaps? Am I right ??? It's sad when there is someone pretty, who covers their face with their hair so no one knows.... ANYWAY, I say definately stand if the solo is more than a couple of measures. -Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM