Saxophone Forum

by futoku
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Reeds with mouthpieces.... Help...

Hello. Some people (different site) recommended I use a Vandoren blue size 3 reed with my Rousseau NC4 New Classic mouthpiece, but... It barely works! Even when I got used to how hard I had to blow (played for like a month with 3s), it still sounded terrible (dead, more air than note) compared to when I use my 2-2.5 (Vandoren ZZ, and Legere) strength reeds. How come alot of people sound good with the same mpc/reed, but I sound really bad? (( YAS23 sax, have been playing for about 5 years. )) ... Sorry for so many parenthesis. o.O;

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Geronimo
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reeds with mouthpieces.... Help...

ok firstly....u are using a YAS23 sax. this is a student model sax aand should only be used for a few years. my advice is to sell it and buy sumthin more substantial. if u like the yamaha models a 62 is a great step up to a professional sax. with a better horn u can start to experiment with reeds. u shouldnt have to hyperventilate whilst playing so it seems Vandoren 3's are not for u at this stage. stick to 2 - 2.5 or try LaVoz reeds or standard Rico. this might improve ur sound with less effort. i hope that helped, reeds are very subjective. wat works for sum might not work for others. my advice is to experiment with different brands and sizes URSELF, to find wat works for u.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------ ok firstly....u are using a YAS23 sax. this is a student model sax aand should only be used for a few years......with a better horn u can start to experiment with reeds. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- If I may be so abrupt, this is rubbish. Reed choice and mouthpiece selection should always preceed buying a more 'advanced' horn.

Reply To Post

2. by mroland153
    (13 posts)

18 years ago

I think that something that has been ignored in the replies to this post is working on your reeds. I rarely find a reed in a box that I do not have to do some work on to get it to play the way I want it to play. I was taught to be picky about the sound that I am getting so therefore I spend a little time with my new reeds and make them work for me. You never know how much you can improve your sound by just adjusting your reed slightly.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

I'd recommend sticking with your ZZ or legere if it gives you the sound you like. Some regard playing on hard reeds like some sort of right-of-passage or accomplishment. Reed type and strength is no more than a piece of a formula to hone and develop your playing.

Reply To Post

4. by GzsKerqt
    (77 posts)

18 years ago

That's because you havnt mastered size 3. However, you must remember that increasing in reed size does not mean you are improving. Many people uses Vandoren Blue box 3 because their band director asked them to or they prefer a heavier sound than 2.5. Since you have been playing on 2-2.5, it's not a surprise that you get an airy sound on 3. If u really persist on the reed size 3 then u have to give yourself more time for your muscles to get used to your new reed strength. The ease you play with your 2.5 will be about the same when u master the 3. (Make sure your chin is firm and air flow faster-- it sort of reduces the airiness)

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

18 years ago

i dont really know what Gzs is talking about.. but i personally feel the same way as you do bro.. the only reed i can really sound good on is a Java.. at least that is what i have encountered.. the airyness does hold some truth however. if your playing on a traditionally clear playing reed and ur getting some air, take it a half size down and you will notice a difference.. but i just think blue box reeds are horrible.. a lot of it is just the way a player is made up.. certain people sound good on certain things you could pick up charlie parkers setup EXACTLY the way he played it.. and sound nothing like him so where does that come from? who knows...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by WorldofWhats
        (1 post)

18 years ago

What Gzs means is that certain adjustments take time. To be perfectly honest, there's no real mystery in it at all. An airy, vague sound is achieved through a reed that is too stiff for the player. If you want a clear sound, you ought to either give your muscles time to adjust or simply go back to 2.5 reeds. Naturally, doing the latter is somewhat nonsensical--soft reeds don't last very long and tend to generate a bright, brassy sound within only a few playing hours. Moreover, I've never met any serious saxophonist that plays below a 3 level reed. On another note, Javas are jazz reeds and are useless/detrimental towards classical playing, while blue box reeds are primarily classical and deterimental towards jazz endeavors. I'll tell you now not to ever mix them up. You may THINK you sound good playing Creston on your little 3 Zz reed. But you're more than likely wrong. As for the compatibility for your mouthpiece and reed--I'm afraid I can't help you. I've never tried that particular Rosseau.

Reply To Post

1. by ebert
          (18 posts)

18 years ago

Playing a higher strength reed doesn't necessarily mean you are a better player. Some mouthpieces just can't take really hard reeds (the opening is too big or other reasons). If you can get a solid sound from a 2.5 or 3 reed and make that reed last a while without changes in intonation as the reed is played for a while, stick with that. It is true that harder reeds last longer and keep more consistent tone and intonation, but vandoren blue boxes (in any size) I have found to be very inconsistant strength-wise. Some say that vandoren reeds are made .5 or 1.0 strength harder than most other reeds with the same strength number. Rico jazz are more consistant, try those.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

18 years ago

ok... first off... just becuase you play on a "below standard" reed strength dosnt make you a below standard player, I know for a fact that a surprising number of famous jazz players played on soft reeds with a HUGE sound, and secondly, dont limit equipment to being Jazz or classical (and NEVER say legit... that is saying that jazz is illegitamate and quite an insult to those artists who make a living off of it) a Java is a reed, same as any other, it just has a different cut to it than the blue box, but either can be used for playing any kind of music. Think of the difference between jazz and classical this way: Music is a language, you use all the same words in any different dialect... but the difference between jazz and classical is more like the difference between say... a Michigan accent, and a Texan accent, or Georgian accent, or Mississipian. All the words are there, but the way you pronounce them and the context you put them in is different. Its the same way with equipment... The texan dosnt have any different lips than the Michigander, in the same way a Jazz player dosnt need any different equipment than a classical one. The only thing that should change between Jazz and classical is the way you interperet the music, you are still the same saxophone player. And in whatever music you play you should always sound like you. If saxophone were up to your equipment, than everyone with the same setup would sound the same, but they dont. so find a setup that gives you the sound you want, and then stick with it. No matter what anyone says... if you sound good, than your doing SOMETHING right. So dont worry about it.

Reply To Post

3. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with pretty much all of ya...but this made me think of how you do have to find a good setup that MATCHES cause I tried zz's (jazz reeds) on my selmer s80 c* and its VERY held back...you can't play from high E up and every note you do play is...I dunno its jus really weird. Your mouth feels restricted almost....but then when I put the zz's on my stock cannonball mouthpiece it's like you get let off the chain lol you can play as loud and hard as you want (or soft) on every note. and on the other side of that when I put a regular old vandoren or a reed for "classical" playing on the s80 c* it is relaxin jus to hear yourself playing. theres no prob at all on any note...not exaggeratin its VERY easy to play low B flat pianissimo. You jus gotta search around and find a match that ya like....but definately have more than one mouthpiece. MY personall suggestion is selmer s80 c* and with vandoren selects for classical and meyer 6 with zz's for jazz. Rovner dark or if you wanna do it big, lol, go with the vandorem optimum ligature with both of them.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

O yea Also I heard about soaking reeds in warm/hot water a lil ibit before you play....it REALLY helps the reed to be more responsive and "flexible" I guess you could say. and I may be just crazy but I was messing around with gettin rid of "airyness" today actually, and it seemed like when I moved my ligature closer towards the tip of the mouthpiece just to where its still on the bigger part of the mouthpiece still.....it seemed to help... I swear, lol.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

Also consider trying other brands, rico has a classical model that I heard was very nice.

Reply To Post