Saxophone Forum

by futoku
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Sax section vs. rest of the band

^__^; A few years ago, the band I'm in had 3 clarinets, 4 flutes... And about 12 alto saxophones! Haha.... But now we've mellowed out a little. About 12 flutes, 15 clarinets, 8 alto saxes... ('Bout the same amount of trumpets throughout the years.. o.o) What about you guys?=) Any crazy sax to band ratios?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jenntheflutist
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Sax section vs. rest of the band

Sax section? Ha ha ha... I'm the section leader and the best player( not to be conceited) and I've only been playing alto 2 1/2 years. Th other two altos rarely play, as with the tenor, and our bari player is just plain mean and conceited. That may seem small, but we only have four clarinets, five trumpets, a horn, a tuba, two trombones and maybe five percussionists. On the other hand there are 9 flutes I think... Our band is messed up and really bad, I think it's one out of 18 people in the band.... jenntheflutist

Reply To Post

2. by rvsaxbabe
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

definitly!......last year our band had 12 flutes over 14 clarinets and probably 8 saxes....and so many trumpets(as usuall) we could hold our own tho....now our sax section has doubled....of course souring # of trumpets but now we hav 15 saxes! its amazing...we get yelled at alot but who cares....the sax craze lives!!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

18 years ago

3 flutes about 12 clarinets.. only 2 seniors out of that bunch only like 8 saxes, im the only true leader and senior in that bunch that has been playn since 4th grade.. my other 2 senior sax buds started as freshman like 16 trumpets.. 5 lead seniors lol and like, somthin else with all the other guys haha.. we have 4 tubas and 3 string bass players tho.. l;askdjf;

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

My high school currently has 20 kids playin sax. Of course, We currently have a 290 piece marching band... (we are small we say, another high school in the area marches with 350!!!) Although when I was in college, we had no saxes in marching band. we had the worlds largest all brass band. anyone know the school?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by rvsaxbabe
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

O H I O!!!!!!! GO BUCKEYES!!! BEAT MICHIGAN!!!!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Now you've got it!!! TBDBITL!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

definition, do live near a metropolitan area? I mean, with a band of 290! Were a AAA school and we only have about 110 instrumentalists, of which 11 are die-hard sax players (don't play anything else)

Reply To Post

4. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Not really, the total school population was only JUST over a thousand - thats right over a quarter of the school was in band without it being a requirement

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by rvsaxbabe
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

wow that is amazing...how do u get so many people interested in band at your skool....i would love for some more band friendly people at mine

Reply To Post AIM

6. by Cracker56
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

We have a 200 person band and there are only 400 students in our school thats 1/2 of our A school. There are about 12 saxs though. We went to the London New Years day parade last year.Look us up Lancaster Red Devil Band.

Reply To Post

7. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

We just do our best to make it the 'cool' thing to do when we do halftime, we even have 7 football players and 4 cheerleaders with us this year

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

there's a bunch of "BAND REBELS" as I put it on our football team and cheerleading squad, with one being a sax, WHO USED TO OWN ON BARI!

Reply To Post

9. by jazzina
          (18 posts)

18 years ago

definition, You went to OSU and I'm thinking about going there but obviuosly marching band=brass, please tell me (this may sound stupid but my band director doesn't know) is there a jazz band and/or a saxophone ensemble? i love playing sax, i'm one of those die-hearts and i love the sound, the crazy varying tones, the solos, duets, trios, etc. i simply cannot give it up!!!! please direct me because this is one thing in my future i'm sure about. Also... do you have to major in that area like jazz or music studies because another one of my "weird future plans" (sophomore... have to start this soon and i'm a little worried because i have no idea what i gonna do with my life) was the allied medical field but i'm an active student in clubs and band (duh) i really don't want totally give up that part of my life. HELP!!!

Reply To Post

10. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

18 years ago

well the wind ensemble, which i'm in (it's an audition-only band), has a great sax section with 3 altos, 3 tenors, 2 baris. the concert band is pretty much half flutes, half alto saxes, and some other instruments thrown in, haha.

Reply To Post

11. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

18 years ago

our concert band only has about......30 to 40 members, i think! only 2 altos, including myself! one bari, and possibly 2 tenors. but we have loads of clarinets and WAY too many percussionists and...yeah not sure about the rest!

Reply To Post

12. by mattMrozinski
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

wow my bands way smaller than all of yours! 2 altos, tenor, a bari, 5 trumpets, 2 guitars, 3 bones, 2 bass, 3 drummers. were just a little private school jazz ensemble.

Reply To Post

13. by jazzina
          (18 posts)

18 years ago

Well our band (concert) is composed of 4 saxes with an alternating tenor so maybe 2 alto and 1 tenor and then one on bari. 4 trumps, 1 frenchy, 1 bass clari, 2 baritone, 2 bones, 4 clari, 8 flutes, 6? percussion with some junior high kids mixed in here and there. For jazz, we have 4 altos, 2 tenors, 1 bari sax, 2 bones, 3 clarinet, 2 flutes, piano (2) (I play but I am just back up) and 2 trumpets. We' re not that big but the jazz band loves to play jazz...

Reply To Post

14. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

lol as soon as I saw this I knew I had to reply.... o yes *cough cough * I am first chair alto in our band :)... IM THE ONLY ONE LOL. No tennor, bari, or other altos. lol but I love my little band. We only a 1-A high school with 2 trumpets, 1 tuba, 1 baritone, 1 bass clarinet, me on alto, 3 trombones and then about 7 flutes n clarinets each. plus our 7th and 8th grade we let play with us. and our beloved drumline of about.... 3 from high school and 3 in jr hig. But we still have a great time playin together. Everyone has to play their part and when they do I love it. Representin LaSalle High School band in Louisiana :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by Tenor Man
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

we have about 20 altos in our band of about 130. We haveabout 15 trumpets. 10 clarinets and 8 flutes. 10 drumer. And we have about 12 low brass. //that includes 4 tenors and 1 bari.

Reply To Post AIM

16. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

18 years ago

I'm section leader this year and wow, my sax section took a major hit . . . Last year we had eight players... Then a couple graduated, one became drum major, one switched to Bari sax, and one quit . . . so now we only have three, including myself! But we are a very dedicated three, I'll tell you that! The other day our teacher told us we outplayed the whole band!!! Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

17. by JeremyA
          (28 posts)

18 years ago

In symphonic band we have around 14 altos, 3 tenors, and a bari. We have 5 altos, 3 tenors, and 2 baris between the two jazz bands. Last season our marching band had 3 altos (it might as well been only one because the other two did not play out), 4 tenors, and 2 baris. Our marching band has only about 65 members, but next year I might be going to a high school that has a 200 member marching band, 4 symphonic bands (3 of which are auditioned ensembles), and multiple jazz bands and combos. Saxgrobie, have you guys already started this upcoming marching band season or are you talking about last year's?

Reply To Post

18. by saxman0317
          (53 posts)

18 years ago

god...and here my school has to fight to keep the one band we have and 1 teacher in 3 schools from being shot down by the board

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Saxamaphone2007
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

HA, we only have 5 altos... well used to be 6, but the Director asked me to go back to Tenor since we didn't have one. (I WAS second chair, now I'm first... and last... lol). And we only have one bari too. As for other band members, we live in a tiny farm town in O H I O! We have 5 flutes (in my opinion 5 too many), 2 oboes (again, 2 too many), 6 clarinets, 2 bass clarinets, 8 trumpets (which we REALLY needed, last year was only 2), about 6 drummers, 2 trombones, and a tuba... Yes, I am one of five "low brass" players now. How pathetic...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxman0317
        (53 posts)

18 years ago

haha...lets see....ive been in 40 peice bands that had 5 baris before...and then there was that other band where we had about 50 people, and i was the only sax period and playing alto tenor and bari depending on the song...

Reply To Post AIM