Saxophone Forum

by rvsaxbabe
(12 posts)
18 years ago

help with low notes on bari saxes

ou jazz band is good....i started this year first alto....second tenor(numbers)....now im on bari....its my first time on bari....which is hard.....im having trouble being consistent on my low notes...any advice would be well appreciated!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: help with low notes on bari saxes

I found it helpful to make sure my Bari Sax reed was moist and ready, moreso than alto or soprano. Also, you need to open your embouchure more for the bigger mouthpiece, more mouthpiece in your mouth. It might feel like you're eating it for a while, but you'll get used to it. (Of course you know the drill: practice, practice, practice!) Hope that helps!

Reply To Post

2. by Nels
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

Also, have your instructor(s) help you with your posture. I like to use my harness, because it distrubutes the weight more evenly than a regular neckstrap. I can stand up, and even dance around (as we nashvile horn bands do), fairly comfortably. The one I use was on the low end at about $30 bucks I think, I'm sure you could find a better deal online.

Reply To Post

3. by Bariboy
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

opening ur throat will help a lot. what is ur set-up? that help us a little better. ur right, if it's ur first playing bari it will be hard to play notes for a little while. but u will get used to it. hope this helps!! Steven

Reply To Post

1. by rvsaxbabe
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

wow...thanks alot.....steven....email me whenever to talk sometime lol....i could use some advice from someone my age lol

Reply To Post AIM

4. by woutanh
    (19 posts)

18 years ago

i agree with bari boy. ha. definalt lots of air and drop the jaw a bit.. that helps in the beginning. but don't do that too much or you tone will go insanly flat. ...it'll help to get the note out... but just adjust your tone. good luck and have fun! we're playing ko-ko my the duke right now. .and the bari part is monsterous. it's so much crazy fun. ~sara

Reply To Post AIM

1. by rvsaxbabe
      (12 posts)

18 years ago

yay....we play a lot of songs...one of the ones we just started working on is birdland....some LOW notes in that song...but the part rocks!! i've never heard ko-ko my the duke lol i'll hav to hear it

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxman987
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

My advice to you is to just open up your throat and make sure there is lots of air going through your instrument. Also LONGTONES. everyone hates them because they are so monotonous and boring, but if you do them right, then your breathing will get better and so will your tone. If you don't know how to do longtones, this is how. YOu should probably play into a wall so you can hear your town. First you should pla the lowest note that you can. Make sure you have good airsuport and posture. HOld this note as long as you can. Try to work out problems there. THen go chromatically up the entire horn. Do these every day and your sound will imporove dramatically.

Reply To Post

1. by rvsaxbabe
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

thanks everyone...i must say i am definilty getting the hanging of it!!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by woutanh
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

awesome news. lol...talk to you later.... sara

Reply To Post AIM