Saxophone Forum

by DarrellAHobbs
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Can you help identify old Sax?

Thanks for your precious time to read this. I have an old Sax that an older lady brought in that she thinks her late husband purchased in the early 1920's. I have researched for 3 hours now and don't know anymore than I did when she brought it in. I sale these older instruments to help them out with estate costs. It has the look of a silver (maybe sterling) or silverish coating on the outside, goldish on the inside of the horn and all it says is "The Elkhart" , "Elkhart - IND. - U.S.A.". At the back, bottom appears to be a serial# Just "9010". No other markings. The 9010 is on a raised square a tad bit larger than the 9010. It is in an older model case with Blue Felt inside. It is approx 26" from bottom to top. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by DarrellAHobbs
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Can you help identify old Sax?

I'm sorry. The (serial?) of 9010 is NOT on anything raised. Just stamped below the thumb holder. Worn a little bit. Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Its definitly a stencil horn, made by either Buescher or Conn, both made horns with that name on it at one point or another. Quickest way to tell, will be too look at the Low C keygaurd. It it looks like the Mercedes Benz logo, then it is most likely a Conn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

I would say its buescher unless it has A above the serial and L below Dave

Reply To Post

1. by DarrellAHobbs
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks! I took it to a local music shop. The guy made 3 or 4 phone calls. Said it was a student model. Lacquered. Needed 300-400 worth of restoration. Worth 50 - 75$. Thanks!

Reply To Post