Saxophone Forum

by chasing4
(2 posts)
18 years ago

puchasing a tenor sax

my son loves jazz. He currently plays in his high school jazz band, is part of a band that plays jazz, spends the summer w/a group that plays jazz and ends up playing at jazz festivals here in California, attends a performing arts school after hours in jazz, studies music theory on his own because he thinks it "will make him a better jazz musician" ( in his own words), and if you raided his mp3 player it would be full of Coltrane, Charlie Parker, etc. Now he is groaning that he was meant to be a tenor sax musician instead of an alto sax musician. We need help in purchasing a tenor sax and don't know where to begin. We want something more than a $200.00 model from Costco. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: puchasing a tenor sax

Yes, you definately want to stay away from Costco for saxophones. Get an idea from the saxes listed on this site, both vintage saxes and modern saxes. Vintage horns can be great for Jazz, Conn is my favorite (before 1970), but others are good, too. After you've done some more research, you'll have a better idea what you want. Your son's enthusiasm sounds great, and he's right, theory will make him a better jazz player. You might want to post on the jazz board for more info (if you haven't already). They'll be better at things specific for jazz than I am.

Reply To Post

2. by chasing4
    (2 posts)

18 years ago

thank you for your input. Those are good suggestions that I will follow.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

My main interest is jazz, too. I've been playing tenor for a year (and have played guitar for 35+ years) and just bought a new one last week. I wrote about the experience over in the 'General Discussions' forum. You might (or might not!) find it helpful. The original subject line was 'S. F. Bay area stores?'...

Reply To Post