Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

Need Advice Quick!!!

First, I would like to know your thoughts on a standard overhaul. I'm talkin' new pads, springs, corks, bumpers, dent work, polishing, and adjustments (everything but the relacquering pretty much). How much is a good price to pay for one at the standard repair shop? Woodwind & Brasswind asks for $425 to overhaul altos and tenors (besides Selmers which you have to pay more for). And speaking of wierd noises coming from the sax, both of my saxes have trouble switching octaves when slurring. I also have trouble because on some notes on my alto, when I play any accented note, it squeaks to one octave higher. It happened on a solo last year and I felt like I had just learned the instrument. Well, it might be me , don't get me wrong, but I have had lessons and this problem has persisted. Would an overhaul help? Just to say it, my alto needs it more than my tenor. Thank you!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need Advice Quick!!!

It is possible that your squeaks and octave problems are coming from leaks somewhere on the horn. You may not need an entire overhaul to fix those problems, though. You could take it to a tech and get an estimate on what needs to be done. My tech gives free estimates before he does the work.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need Advice Quick!!!

Good call, Mom. A pro technician will be able to pin-point any problems your horn may have. You may not need an entire overhaul, just a couple of key or pad adjustments... or, you might have to shell out a few hundred dollars for a complete re-work. Your tech will know for sure. Question: have you tried your horns with different mouthpieces? If so, does the same problem occur?

Reply To Post