Saxophone Forum

by Roccosm
(113 posts)
18 years ago

The Meyer New York , what is the big deal...??

Why are these MP's comanding so much money.. are they different that the one's produced By Meyer Now??I use the Meyer M5 and love it..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jschuth
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

Re: The Meyer New York , what is the big deal...??

I have two old New York Meyers; a 5M and a 4S I've heard a number of reasons for the difference; rubber compound and facing. All I know is there is nothing like an old Meyer. They can't be beat if you can find one in good condition. Remeber, supply and demand, the HR pieces are also fewer in number because they're more fragile.

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Thank You for the response, Yes it must be the old rubber and the ageing thing? I do love My meyer 6 on Alto, but they are not for tenor? dod You agree??Rocco

Reply To Post

1. by jschuth
        (10 posts)

18 years ago

I agree... love the old meyers on Alto but I'm a Link man on tenor. I have an old Florida SuperTone Master and a Slant Signature HR. Now on to ligatures...I just bought on old Selmer Micro-adjust screwless ligature for my Slant Sig on e-bay. Haven't received it yet. Have you ever tried one? Jeff

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi, No I have not tryed the Otto You mentioned, but a Good Friend and a Great tenor player is looking for a Otto for Me. he say's he has to play a few first to find the right one< confusing how the same company's and Model's differ so? I am still in the hunt for the right tenor Mp. the Hunt may never end My friend.. Thank You, R

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

18 years ago

yes, can the Ligature make some difference???

Reply To Post

3. by bigred
          (43 posts)

18 years ago

best mouthpiece for alto ever, shame they're to much money. I WANT ONE!!! Piece

Reply To Post

4. by notlegit
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

I was on the Selmer web site today and there is a post by the administrator about equipment. One of the Items he talked about was the old Meyer NY mp's. Meyer did a study as to why the old ones sound better than the new because the rubber compound is the same on the new mp's. The difference is that the rubber gets slightly harder with time and this changes the sound. Knowing this they came up with a quick aging process for the new mp's and have improved the sound of them. The author said that the sound was great and he bought two of them. They are being sold under the name "special edition" or something like that. Check out that web site discusion. Craig

Reply To Post

5. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

Hey Rocco, quick quesion: You said a friend of yours is trying Ottos for you, right? Are you trying them as well? What works great for him might suck for you. He might have already passed one by that he didn't like so much, but might've been "The One" for you... just a thought...

Reply To Post

6. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Saxo, He is a great player and told Me he will play a few of them before He get's it, but You know I really am not an Otto fan, I have had a few but never got the response , that is Me. I am playing a Philip Barone on tenor now HRubber 6 that i really like, but My Horn is Alto and My problem is lack of play on tenor. I got a Sugal Stelth that rattled My head, to sharp and edgey. what do You play>

Reply To Post