Saxophone Forum

by budding_saxman
(7 posts)
18 years ago

Reference Series vs. Mark VI

hi, i'm thinking about serioulsy upgrading my tenor. currently i play an unlaquered 'Mad Meg' (?) Canonball, but i'm thinking about going for one of those new selmer reference series (ref 54), or possibly trying to hunt down a Mark VI. has anyone heard how the new re-make of the Mark VI stacks up against the original? also, what can people tell me about the following horns in general (i'm only interested in tenors here): Reference 36 Reference 54 SA 80 Series series III, " series II Mark VI (original) Mark VII Canonball unlaquered 'Mad Meg' thanks for all the input; this is a huge investment for me (given my poor grad student status), so all the info i can collect would be greatly appreciated. -- eager-neophyte

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reference Series vs. Mark VI

I've played REF 54, MK VII, and I have a MK VI . I think the 54 is a great horn. Of course I'm used to my own horn, but I think it plays every bit as good as my MK VI. My own horn is set up by Paul Maslin, so it plays better than a new one out of rhe box. I bought my tenor new, and grew up with it. I did buy a used soprano this year, but it was very expensive. When I bought my alto and tenor, there was no Yamamha, Yanigasawa etc. It was down to Conn or Selmer. My first tenor was a Conn 16M . The Mark VI was just a pro level horn, not a collector's item like it is today. I think the REF 54 will knock your socks off :) Great horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

I forgot to tell you not to buy a MK VI with a high F#. I have three MK VI's and if you should decide to get one, don't be lured by a good deal on a tenor with a high F#, They don't play right in the high end. The Ref 54 is designed for a high F#. On the MK VI the high F# was an after market gimmick. Practice On :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by peter090
    (155 posts)

18 years ago

I recently had a chance to play a couple of new Ref 54's (one laq one unlaqed) and they are excellent horns very even sound from top to the bottom and excellent intonation. They do NOT sound anything like a Mark VI in my opinion. The Ref doesn't have the core sound of a 6 and I found it to tend to get overly bright when pushed. It is a very good horn but I don't think the Ref 54 is any closer to a Mark 6 in sound than any of the other top line pro horns.

Reply To Post