Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
18 years ago

I WANT MY OWN BARI!

I've been wanting to get my own bari ever since I started playing bari in january. But since I currently have a limited income, I don't really have an adequate amount for a bari. SO I was wondering, does anyone know of a good bari sax for under $3000? I'm reluctant to getting a potentially cheap one in my haste, so I need advice. Any at all will help THANKS

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I WANT MY OWN BARI!

oh yeah, and I've been playing on a Yamaha YBS-61, so I'm used to higher caliber saxophones

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

Play the school horn. Carry it back and forth from school. You have other horns so your parents have been pretty good to you. Money dosen't grow on trees. If you must have your own get a job. YBS 61 is a great horn, much better that most high school kids deserve. When I was a Band Director I had kids who didn't take good care or the school horns they were issued..........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

You know Kelsey, Ive found that you can get students much more responsible for the horns when they pay for repairs that are clearly the result of them doing something they shouldnt have!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Very true. Kids should pay for the repairs.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

but what happens when I graduate? it will be depressing to not have my favorite sax to play whenever I want after graduation

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, and I am getting a job this summer, just as soon as the city hall processes the applications... they said they'd be in by early january, ppthh, yeah right

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

That's a good plan. Take the money you make this summer and buy an older Yamaha 61 bari sax. Your parents will be proud that you went to work and bought the horn on your own. You should be able to find one for between $2000 and $3000......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

well, I did just turn 16, so my responsibilities should be numerous. BUT, nothing against older, or vintage, horns, I would like to get a new sax, rather than a "buyer beware" off ebay. My choices now would be between a Cannonball B5-BS, a Yamaha YBS-52, or a Yanagisawa B901. If anyone can vouch, or negate, one of these let me know. Thanks. saxjunkie

Reply To Post

6. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, and just to let yous know, There is not a GOOD music shop for around 40-50 miles from where I live, where they would let me test-play a sax first, so that option almost goes out the window...

Reply To Post

2. by kc5wnt
        (1 post)

18 years ago

If you are interested in a pristine (just over-hauled) Yamaha YBS 23 Low A Baritone Sax e-mail me at [email protected]. A friend of mine has asked me to sell his and you will not be disappointed with this one (It is in like-new condition) comes with a new Ritter softcase and we will let it go for $1600.00 dollars

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

18 years ago

if I am correct, the YBS 23 is actually a yAs 23, the student alto sax for yamaha, hmm... can I get an amen?

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

sorry about that, I have just seen the sax on ebay... looks...good, but that's not all that matters. How does it play?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

YSS=Yamaha Soprano Saxophone YAS + Yamaha Alto Saxophone YTS=Yamaha Tenor Saxophone YBS=Yamaha Baritone Saxophone A YBS23 is a student model baritone. They are very good horns. I know a few semi-pro players who love their 23's and sound great on them. Many schools like them because they will take a beating!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

You just have to ask yourself why people all the time type YAS 23 Alto Sax? Maybe I will start typing my name out JS Jamin. Just so you know for sure the J Stands for Jamin, in case you didn't catch the J in JS standing for Jamin. I admit when I first saw that acronem I didn't know what YAS stood for becuase it was used like the formentioned wrong way. I was like, what is a YAS alto sax? Later I saw the light and thus began my great quest to vanquish the Stupidors and the Itiotites.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

ok, so it is a legitimate instrument, Right?

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It is probably thee best student model bari you're going to find.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

but I wouldn't consider myself as a student. I can play altissimo on all my saxes up to D 6 lines above the staff, and can dip a bari to low G. The only problem with me is that my family and I have relatively recently moved into a new house and got 2 new (used, actually) cars, so I'm in tough financial spot. I'm actually wanting to beg them for some money so I can get my own bari before my spring concerts (Stage, and concert bands). The lowest I would go to get my own bari, brandwise, is to get a vintage, aka w/o a low A, or one of those junky brands NOT on your "Approved Saxophones" list. I'll try to persuade my parents to let me bid on this one, but there are NO guarantees with them. Thanks

Reply To Post

5. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

I don't think they are callin you a student, I think they said the YBS 23 is a student horn. Probably the best student bari, but still a student bari. First recomendation, do not buy junk. Esp with your parents money. Just because you didn't have to earn the money doesn't make it right to go out and buy junk with it. If your using your own money I guess you can do whatever, but if at some time your parents or yourself wanted to sell your jumbo alto at least buy a horn that is easy to unload and one that will allways sell for a decent price. second recommendation. Why do you even need to buy a bari? It's not like you can major on Bari in college? If you were thinking about it, let me correct you. You can't major on Bari in college. Tenor, yes. Might want to do your legit lessons on alto but if you switch to Jazz perf. you can do your recitals on Tenor. I seriously doubt they would let you do your entire Senior recital on Bari. So then begs the question why do you need a bari? Just use the Schools horn for Stage band. If you want to perform on a better horn, which I can understand, borrow one or rent a nice one just for the performance. Maybe you can find someone or a store to rent if for just the season? If the schoools is just bad off and they don't want to take it to a good repairman, ask your parents to pay for that. I have seen school have great baris they were just beat up. Some TLC from a good repairmen will fix it up nice. Nobody can hear dents. So let your parents pay for their new house and their new cars, and "suffer" on the schools bari. I can tell you my most memerable experience was on a silver 1940's 12M in college for pep band. I would lug that thing back and forth for pep band and I absolutly loved playing it. Plus I got paid, as the college paid the pep band "schollarships" to do it. I got more to play bari (bass instrument) then alto. Picked up a nice $360 to play the season plus an A in the class. Sweetest deal on campus. If your investing in a future on sax, I suggest legit players get a nice Alto and Soprano and Jazz players get a nice Alto and Tenor. The next big purchase should be on Clar or Flute (whichever your better on) Then Pick up the rest when you can. It's resonable to own the Sax family and a nice flute and Clarient if your a professional. Hope that helps. Last word, don't buy junk. Buy equipment someone else would want to buy from you.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your input I do play alto and soprano, so I can take off on those for college, but I would still like to own a bari. The school's bari is great, but it becomes a pain taking it home to practice, and then bringing it back to school. (I walk to and from school and my parents go to work too early to give me a ride) If I were to get my own, I could play the school's sax at school, and play my own at home or other non in-school activities. I would not want to part with my current alto just to fund for a new one that I would only use during the marching seasons, and crap up.

Reply To Post

7. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

anyhoo, I had to stop because my parents made me get off the computer for some reason. Since bari is my favorite sax to play currently, it would be saddening to me if I had to stop playing it after I graduate. THAT IS MY MAIN REASON! Oh, and I just started tenor today...it's fun

Reply To Post

8. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The YBS 23 is considered a student model bari. It is; in my opinion, the best student bari on the market. I didn't think that my statement implied that you were a beginner, saxjunkie89, but beginner or not, the YBS 23 is a great horn. Many pro players who I have worked with still play Yamaha 23's. Why? Because they have a very versatile sound, meaning they're good for jazz or classical depending on the set up you use. They're dependable, and they are affordable.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

I respect that, and I shouldn't have incinuated, sorry. I went to yamaha's site though and found nothing on the 23. Where do they sell them?

Reply To Post

10. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I just looked at the Yamaha site also and apparently the only 2 baritones that are still available are the YBS 52 (intermediate) and the YBS 62 (pro). I did find some really good prices on the 52's. Yamaha has lowered the prices on many of their horns. The YBS 52 is selling for nearly the same price as the YBS 23 a couple years ago. When a school can purchase an intermediate baritone sax for nearly the same price as the student model, the YBS 52 intermediate horn is a better deal.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

I'm Almost Certain!

I'm pretty sure I know what bari I want, when I get the money of course. The Jupiter Artist Series Bari. Does anyone here have anything against them?

Reply To Post

12. by definition
              (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I'm Almost Certain!

soft metal, they bend easy. My frind sent his alto back when he was able to accidently bend it with his bare hands when he first got it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

13. by Bariboy
              (18 posts)

18 years ago

i dont think there good horns. i tried one, and i think there not the best for the money. sure they look good but it's not all about looks. if i where u, i would get a yamaha. just b/c i love yamaha. hope this helps. Bariboy

Reply To Post

14. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

18 years ago

I think the Jupiter Artist is a good line. I have handled an alto and tenor at length and found no issue with the strength of material. Folks, brass is not that strong a metal and a willfull attempt to bend a horn is not a great indicator of it's quality.

Reply To Post

15. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

I guess not

well, 2/3 discredit it, so it's a big no. What about the International Woodwind bari? Is it almost the same as the WWBW one? If so, that's what I would get.

Reply To Post

16. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I guess not

i just got the Runyon Custom Spoiler mpc. today, didn't get to try it yet, but I will at stage band rehearsal tonight. If anyone has one of these, is the spoiler the little removable thingy that fits inside. If it is, how do you use it?

Reply To Post

17. by definition
              (963 posts)

18 years ago

the black part has the word 'up' on it. Slide it in with that part up. I assume you know how it works from there

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

18. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

well, I now know how to get it in, but when I played on it with the spoiler, it sure did live up to its name! I think it spoiled the sound. But I'm not sending the mouthpiece back, because it plays great without the spoiler. What is the spoiler supposed to do, anyway?

Reply To Post

19. by rednecksax
              (24 posts)

18 years ago

the spoiler breaks up the airstream and creates a more complex set of harmonics, along with a brighter, louder sound. I use my spoiler on my Jody Jazz bari mouthpiece, but not on my Jody Jazz alto piece. (btw, Jody Jazz spoilers are the exact same thing as runyon customs b/c they were both designed by santy runyon)

Reply To Post

20. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

18 years ago

CANNONBALL, maybe

I'm considering getting a cannonball bari. Black body with silver, or nickel, plated keys. Are these good at all?

Reply To Post

21. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: CANNONBALL, maybe

I play a cannonball, anything after 2001 is great. I still don't think you even need a bari. Ifyou got extra money buy a tenor. Bari is a waste of money. until you already got a Alto, Tenor, and Clarient.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by MarkLavelle
            (300 posts)

18 years ago

My guess is you may have to shop around for a while. My sax teacher was very excited to pick up a good used bari (sorry, don't know the make) for about $3000 off eBay a few months ago, and I know it required several hundred $ in maintenance and repairs. She also waited a long time for the right deal, and admitted that even then it was a bit of a gamble. On the other hand, wwbw.com does have a few Keilwerths (ST90 and SX90) for not much over $3K that might be good enough for you. If you can find somewhere to try out those models it might not be too risky to buy one off the web...

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

I've played the wwbw one for $1700, good horn. Better then the price would suggest. It has some weight to it, overall easy blower. Might be light on the top end, but I would expect most of the low end baris don't spend alotof time blancing out the top end. People buy Bari for below middle C. Bottom end sounded smooth. The one I played was under 6 months old so I don't know how they last. Overall though, good sound for price. I don't think you will be disappointed. Oh and the case has wheels.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Radjammin
                (255 posts)

18 years ago

Oh! and they have a 45 day return policy. I sent back an alto and only had to play for the return shipping. Full refund.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

i played someone else's keilwerth bari after my county audition on the yamaha. compared to the yamaha, though, it wasn't AS good. Despite the fact that it was very shiny, which sways most people, it didn't have a very special aura about it. the wwbw bari is priced relatively low, but I don't want to not think about it first and jump into buying it. Besides, most of my money is in a certificate of deposit (CD), which doesn't mature until august, so that gives me time to save up for, and think about what bari I want. I'll still take more suggestions, though, and thanks so far. saxjunkie

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh, and i'm looking for a good, relatively inexpensive jazz mouthpiece to go with it, if anyone has suggestions.

Reply To Post

3. by definition
                  (963 posts)

18 years ago

for the mouthpiece, look at some of the runyon pieces, Im starting to really like them(recently sold a hollywood dukoff in favor of a runyon quantum) for the bari, do you want modern or vintage? low A or just the Low Bb?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

i'd like a modern w/ low A, as I simply love the thunderous sound of a low A. The modern, though doesn't necessarily have to be brand new, I would go with a decent used one. oh and I was actually looking at runyon pieces just to buy for the school bari

Reply To Post

5. by Radjammin
                  (255 posts)

18 years ago

Ya don't wait on the mouthpiece. Even if you don't own your own bari, having a bari mouthpiece is a good buy. I still think the WWBW bari is the best buy under $3000. I mean it's go wheels on the case, should that just sell itself??? Seriously it sounds good.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by definition
                  (963 posts)

18 years ago

usually wheen there are wheels on the case they usually have to sacrafice something else in that area of the case... Stick around places like junkdude.com and other sites that sell nice vintage and new saxes mainly, you'll definitley be able to find a good deal when the time comes

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

okay, how about a sugal bari...?

Reply To Post

8. by johnsonfromwisconsin
                  (767 posts)

18 years ago

I got an old bari from Junkdude for $300.

Reply To Post

9. by Sax Mom
                  (964 posts)

18 years ago

How much work did it need? I'm rather envious...

Reply To Post

10. by johnsonfromwisconsin
                  (767 posts)

18 years ago

I did all the work so far. It's missing the alt-c side lever (est work $100 to refab replacement) and I replaced every pad myself (and am still working on it - I just moved into my first house and am remodeling/unpacking still). It has a few significant dings on the crook portion and a neck that needs a little unbending and additional fixes to a crack along it's length. All these things probably would cost upwards of $700 to fix, I think. It's high A-A# sharp is stuffy, a common issue of bueschers of the time (1915), though I've heard it's fixable by placing cloth-mesh over the neck pip.

Reply To Post

11. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

how about saxophone.com?

Reply To Post

12. by Tsaxkid
                  (29 posts)

18 years ago

I'd look at Yanagiawa baris. I played a 901 for a while and was really impressed. Big fat sound. The 991 is the professional model. They also make bronze models if you're looking for something calmer. For bari, I just use a Meyer 7m (hard rubber) for all styles. It's very versatile. I also favor the Rover ligatures.

Reply To Post

13. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

yeah, I'd love a yani, but remember, I do have that $3000 or around thing.

Reply To Post

14. by mattMrozinski
                  (35 posts)

18 years ago

i saw a cannonball stone series bari in black nickel at my local shop for 4250, thats kinda in your price range... plus its shiney. did you check out your shop? ask the guy and he can probably help you out more than we can. =Matt

Reply To Post

15. by saxjunkie89
                  (393 posts)

18 years ago

The closest GOOD shop to me is about 45 minutes away (Zeswitz in Reading, PA). When I went there in November to check to test play saxes, they only had altos and tenors, of which I am not in the market for (I tested a reference 54 and a selmer limited edition artist series, silver w/gold keys, altos. I preffered the artist one, even though it was much cheaper, the guy would let it go for 2000, and the reference for about 5500). ANYHOO, the guy there said that he would be able to get a selmer ltd. edition bari for 3000, even in silver w/ gold keyes. That got me rather excited. I would get it when I get the money, but 1., I won't have the money til around august, and 2., I don't know if they'll be in production anymore then. Thanks for all of the help so far. PS. I ordered a Runyon Metal Spoiler 7 facing from wwbw, thanks to many of your suggestions, and it should be in in early February.

Reply To Post

16. by connsaxman_jim
                  (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The first baritone sax I bought was a King Zephyr from 1955. It's in very good condition; looks great plays great and sounds great! I gave $3200 for it. I bought a Conn 12M naked lady from 1958 for $500, It's in pretty rough shape, and I haven't decided rather I want to try to fix it or just use it for parts and look for another 12M. I bought a 1930 Conn New Wonder Series II/Transitional model baritone which I finished restoring later last summer. I haven't played it much yet. I don't get to play bari too often. I paid $850 for the New Wonder II, and I put about $400 and a lot of time into it, but it's a nice horn; satin silver finish. I have a matching set of New Wonder Series I's (curved soprano, alto, C Melody, tenor, and baritone) ALL of them silver and from 1922. I have a 1925 New Wonder Series II straight soprano, a 1926 alto, a 1929 tenor and the 1930 baritone, a 1950 6M alto, 1948 tenor and the 1958 baritone, so I'm kinda going for matching sets.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

17. by connsaxman_jim
                  (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Oh, and a 1928 Conn f Mezzo....I'd sure love to add a Conn-O-Sax to that collection! They are next to impossible to find. I'd also love to find a 4M (naked lady) curved soprano and a 14M (also naked lady) bass....or even a New Wonder Series I bass!

Reply To Post Yahoo!