does any body know how much a 1914 selmer new york is worth

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: selmer tenor new york 1914

Are you sure about the year? My guess is that it was made by Conn for Selmer in the early 1920's and the 1914 is the patent date. If so, then it's basically a New Wonder Series I stencil. Unfortunately, they're not worth too much. In excellent condition, probably around $1000.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by nicko12
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

even if has all the original pads and the original cork in condition like its a 1990

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

If the pads and corks are original, they will definately need to be replaced. I've seen and even purchased a couple horns that were mid 1920's vintage with original pads. One in particular, a 1922 Conn C Melody had all of the original white pads. This saxophone was like brand new. It had been played only a couple times and sat in a closet untouched for more than 75 years. Surprisingly, I was able to play through a C scale without any major leaks, but I wouldn't really say it was playable with those pads. What happens is the pads dry and get hard with age. They get brittle and tear very easy. Also, the glue that bonds the pad to the keycup dries up and the pads will start to fall out. Your sax would need to be repadded before it can be played to any extent. The glue on the corks also tends to dry up with age, and the corks may also start to fall off. I could probably give you a more accurate appraisal if I could see some pictures of the sax. I am guessing that it is an early 1920's Conn New Wonder Series I stencil. I could be wrong. I am guessing that the 1914 is Conn's patent date, not the date that your horn was made. I would guess the horn to have been made sometime between 1920-1924. The very early Selmer saxophones (before about 1915) were made in France by Cousenon. Only a few were sold in America as special orders. They were quite expensive. In the late teens and 20's, Buescher, Martin, and Conn all made horns for Selmer. Most were made by Conn, which was the largest manufacturer in of wind instruments in the United States at that time. The Selmer Manhattan models were made by Martin. Buescher didn't really come into the picture until a little later, but also built several models for Selmer including the padless sax and Bundy models. IF the sax is a New Wonder Series I stencil as I suspect it is, it's worth about $100 less than a Conn New Wonder Series I. Even in excellent condition, a Series I is only worth about $1100-$1200. Most stencils are worth even less. The Conn horns had rolled tone holes, and a microtuner neck, which most of the stencils did not. Even though the name Selmer is well known in the industry today, Selmer did not make their own saxophones at this time. In fact, most of the Selmer instruments were made by other manufacturers. The Selmer Balanced Action, Super Balanced Action, and Mark VI are their vintage horns that often bring good money. The older New York models, Cigar Cutter series, and Radio Improved models are not particularly valuable even though they are very nice horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!