Saxophone Forum

by BlackSax15
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Playing too quietly

I've come to notice that in jazz band, i have terrible projection; my tone is fine, but I am very quiet. I am using a Yani A9930 Alto with the Yani mouthpiece. Could the softness be from the mouthpiece being a 5, as opposed to a wider opening? Or something else?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Playing too quietly

what kinda reed are you using?

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

I play 3s in Legit in 2.5 in Jazz I would recommend playing 2.5 in Big Band, no matter what seat your sitten. Even on Tenor, I play 2.5 in Jazz. And there's no such thing as Legit Tenor, it's a myth. I think they did it back when people drove horse driven wagons. You can go a wider opening, but I am guessing when you say 5 your talking about a Meyer. That's a fine mouthpiece for even lead. Just get the less resistant reeds and just blow.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

My guess is that the mouthpiece you are using is designed more for a beginner or student, has a smaller chamber and a narrow tip opening. I would recommend a different mouthpiece, like the Meyer 5M or the Otto Link Tone Edge 5 or 6*, and I think you will see a big difference. With a wider tip opening, I would stay with a # 2-2.5 reed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

18 years ago

My guess also is that you are using the stock Yani mouthpiece which is not made for anyone except beginners. Talk to your teacher or a local sax player, and just think about getting a new mouthpiece. Runyon, Jody Jazz, Meyer.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

18 years ago

wuts up bud.. im using a yani sax as well.. im using the base 901 since im pretty much poor haha.. but i use a meyer 6m, rovner ligh, and a 3 java and i get awesome projection out of it.. my tone has the oppertunity to be fine tuned to whatever i like now and i just absolutely love the mouthpiece and the best part, i got it for free!! haha id check your tecnique before anything.. -are you using your diaphram when breathing? -do u support with the same intensity on a piano dynamic as u do on a FFFFFF dynamic? -is your airflow consistant?( a lil trick i learned, .... can u hold a small 8 x 8" piece of paper to a wall just by your air flow? ) if u can honestly say ur close to profficient in all of those.. take a look at your setup mouthpiece and reed go hand in hand.. youll want a more wide open mouthpiece, the tip opening and the chamber... and with that bigger openinng ull need a smaller strength reed.. get a nice free blowing reed.. i use nothing but vandorens because i feel they make the best reeds.. maybe try a java.. they havnt really failed me yet.. i do however get a few reeds a box that are wayyyy too thin..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

18 years ago

I wouldn't go with Vandorens. They are fairly inconsistent and not of the highest quality. You'd be better off with Gonzalez. Nothing can possibly beat the Gonzalez reeds. www.gonzalezreeds.com They are the best. But your main issue would be your mouthpiece

Reply To Post

3. by saxskillzyamaha
          (52 posts)

18 years ago

why are jody jazz mouthpieces 500 bucks and whats with the "combining the science of nature and art to make the perfect mouthpiece"?

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

It's marketing expertise. People that already know how to play aren't sucked in so easily. When a student sees any mouthpiece that is labeled JAZZ and has a high price tag, often times he or she will buy it. The same thing applies to ligatures. Put a JAZZ label on any product and the kids will buy it. I hear this every day here in the forums. People want to buy anything that will make them jazz players. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. : (

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

5. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

"combining the science of nature and art to make the perfect mouthpiece" is when you take nature in one hand and you take nature in the otherand you smuch them togher real tight. Then you do a little dance. Seriously, what are YOU talking about?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Aside from the advertising lingo, Jody Jazz mouthpieces are GREAT! I think they are one of the highest quality mouthpieces on the market today. A little expensive? Yes! Worth it? Definately!

Reply To Post Yahoo!