Saxophone Forum

by odedtzur
(19 posts)
18 years ago

selmer short shank soloist

It is well known, although arguable, that selmer lowered the quality of their saxophones during the making of mark vi, a long process which ended with the machine made mark vii. Thus the importance of a serial number, and the 5 digit dynasty etc… Is this true for mouthpieces as well? What should one pay attention to when looking for Vintage Short shank soloist? (in case no play-test is available, of course). to the best of my knowledge, they carry no mark of when exactly they were manufactured, and I am not sure such a mark would have had an importance equivalent to that of the mark vi serial number. So are they all more or less the same? Divided to periods? Any comments you can think of…

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: selmer short shank soloist

Short answer: I think there's likely to be *much* less variation in mouthpieces, as long as they're made of pretty much the same material... Falling quality is usally the result of cutting costs, usually in terms of man-hours or materials. Looking at mouthpieces, it seems to me that once you have the design frozen there are only two ways to reduce the cost: automate the process or change the material. Screw-ups in automation (i.e., failure to maintain the machinery properly) should be pretty easy to detect, and any company that's minimally concerned about its reputation would never ship a piece with manufacturing errors. It might be very hard to detect small changes in the formulation of the material, though. For example, I might find that there's a way save $ by mixing plastic in with my ebonite without any *apparent* loss in quality. If nobody notices, would you say I've lowered the quality? The flip side is that if word gets out about the change people will *assume* I've lowered the quality...

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

18 years ago

Re: selmer short shank soloist

Too much variation to separate the good from the bad by the way they are marked, but the later Soloists from the 1970's that do not have the "Soloist" marking on the table are not held in as high of regard. the baffles on those are a bit low and they can play stuffily. Of course in the hands of a refacer like myself - anything can happen! :)

Reply To Post