Saxophone Forum

by rousseau
(10 posts)
18 years ago

Absolutely Smitten

It's a bit intimidating to post here since you all seem to know a great deal about any subject connected with buying, playing fixing saxes etc. But here goes.... After 40 odd years playing percussion I recently picked up an alto sax. With due respect to my wife, I fell in love all over again. I've played piano, vibes, guitar and drums but I have never felt this way about any of them. I don't know what it is and I don't care, I just want to get better on this instrument so I can enjoy it even more. I started on a new rental horn and was almost going to buy it until I noticed that it didn't even have the country of manufacturer stamped anywhere on it, ( not a good sign). I checked around and now I am the proud owner of a new Yamaha YS 62. I'm taking this one to the grave with me. My question: Where do I learn the basics about mouthpieces? The mouth piece that came with the Yamaha seems good to me. But after reading some of the discussions on this site I'm starting to think that maybe I should be looking at something else. But what? I also don't know anything about reeds. I started out with the rental 1.5 now I use a Rico number 2. Is the lighter reed better or worse. I know you are all tired of answering these questions but I'd really like to do justice to this fine instrument and play it to my and it's full potential. Cheers Rousseau

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Absolutely Smitten

Welcome to the smitten club! I joined full-time a little over a year ago on tenor, after a lifetime of guitar with a few sax 'flirtations' over the last 5 years or so... Lots of people have strong opinions about mouthpieces and reeds, but I believe the best thing to do is just experiment with as many options as you can. The point is to find what *you* like. My 1st sax purchase was a YTS-23 with a Yamaha 4C and then a 5C m'piece (definitely an improvement). Now I'm playing a new YTS-82Z, *mostly* with a Vandoren Java T45 m'piece and various makes of 2 or 2.5 reeds. I also have 4 other m'pieces and keep a stock of 2, 2.5 and 3 reeds on hand. The m'piece collection grew from first wanting to have at least one spare (the 5C) to finding good deals on ones I'd heard about, to looking for a fairly specific tip opening on a jazz-oriented design (thus the Java T45). But now that I've got a variety, I intend to take a break from acquisitions and spend a good while working with what I've got until I get more complete control of my embouchure. There is such a thing as having too many options!

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
      (39 posts)

18 years ago

I must agree with MarkLavell, trying everything and never get tired of it, there's no recipe, but practice your sound, your long tones. There is a reason this way of practicing has survived for hundreds of years. Good luck and enjoy!

Reply To Post

1. by rousseau
        (10 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. I think this might be a lifetime journey. Cheers Rousseau

Reply To Post

1. by Mlenox
          (36 posts)

18 years ago

You could benifit most from a teacher. Your teacher will help you figure out what piece you need and what strength reed.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

I'll second that about getting a teacher. I'm really self-motivated with the sax but I'm convinced I've saved a lot of time and avoided some bad habits by taking lessons. Not every week - just 1-2 times per month. If you're anywhere near San Mateo, CA I'd be happy to hook you up with my teacher. Until you do find a teacher, the best 'all about sax' book I've found is 'The Art of Saxophone Playing' by Larry Teal...

Reply To Post

3. by syrasax
          (75 posts)

18 years ago

I've found this site useful. www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_MouthpieceBasics.html

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
        (134 posts)

18 years ago

About the reed question: The answer depends on the person. Me, I can't even play the sax without at least a 3. The lighter reeds make me have a "fuzzy" sound. The funny thing is that I used to have this band director that said the better the woodwind player, the stiffer their reed was. For an example, he new this clarinet player who used 9 reeds. So for a while I figured the big names in the sax world played like 15's or something. Yeah,.....I was younger and stupid.

Reply To Post

1. by rousseau
          (10 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. It's all helpful. I have found an instructor, visited the sites suggested and ordered The Art of Saxophone Playing by Larry Teal. I guess I'm all set. Good to know that help is just a key stroke away. Cheers Rousseau

Reply To Post

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

18 years ago

size 9 and 15????? Wasnt aware they ever went past 5s on any instrument

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM