Saxophone Forum

by Davindar
(1 post)
21 years ago

Hi, My name is Davindar and I'm new to the site

Hello, I am new to the site and relatively new to the instrument (4 years, but I started 3 years prior on the bass clarinet due to an Eric Dolphy fetish), so please bear with me, as I am not sure where I should be posting what. I am in the market both for a new tenor and a new bari, and I am not quite sure where to start on either. I would like a low-to-mid-end professional tenor and a medium to high end professional bari, as my sax teacher has advised me to do this for a living. For tenor, I would like to know what kind of horn, reed, and mouthpiece I should use for dynamic control all over the horn, decent altissimo, and a large, warm sound. I am not quite sure how bright it should be, but I play both as lead tenor in my high school jazz band and in a combo on the side (no classical, as my area doesn't have a good avenue for a classical tenor saxophonist). Oh, I'd also like to objectively hear the characteristics of the Yamaha Z, the Keilwerth SX90R, and the Yanagisawas. For bari, I would like to know what kind of horn/reed/mouthpiece setup would be recommended for both jazz combo and jazz band work (no classical). I am looking for great response and pppp-FFFF dynamic control (plus control in general) in the whole range of the horn (especially low c-a), plus decent altissimo (like F) and a gritty sound like the bari player on Mingus' moanin' (I don't know whether that's dark, bright, or what). I'm not afraid of switching to a metal mouthpiece and I think they look and sound pretty cool. I've been looking at the SX90R and the Yanigasawas for bari, also. Bari's my main instrument now, so if you don't want to answer every whiny little question I have thrown out, just answer those. Also, I have heard things about berg larsen and otto link quality control problems in their new mouthpieces. Please allay my fears if you recommend these. Wow, that's a lot of talking for my first post. Sorry, guys, and if this is in the wrong spot I'll be sure to move it. I promise to be more reticent with the logorrhea in the future

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Debs
    (4 posts)

21 years ago

Re: Hi, My name is Davindar and I'm new to the site

Hi Davindar, I just wanted to say good luck with finding what you want. I have played tenor and bari on metal mouthpieces and would thoroughly recommend them to you. Don't know if its what you're looking for, but I have a tenor with metal mouthpiece that I'm looking to sell. Hope you find what you're after, debs xx

Reply To Post

2. by jazyjason
    (1 post)

21 years ago

Re: Hi, My name is Davindar and I'm new to the site

i think i can help with the bari situation. I mainly play alto but i would recommend a selmer series 2 or 3. With a berg larsen metal jazz. And either a java reed or a plasticover. I play on a 1923 beucher elkhart(just turned 80!) with a berg larsen maetal jazz mouthpiece, and a plasticover 2.5. i bought my horn for $500, it's kinda hard to control but im used to it. It produces an old big band kinda sound, yet can sound like anything u want. I just recommened a modern horn because i play on a series 3 alto and it works great.

Reply To Post