Saxophone Forum

by tkelly777
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Multiphonics question...

Can anyone provide some tips on using multiphonics when playing the alt. F#?? I don't have a problem using the multiphonic on alt. G, but I can't seem to get it to come out on the F#. Just for clarification, I use the front F, 2, side Bb fingering for alt. F#. My setup (not that it matters much) is a YAS-875 Custom, Vandoren Jumbo Java M.P., Eddie Daniels lig., and ZZ reeds. Thanks in advance for your replies. P.S. I'm new here!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxman0317
    (53 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Multiphonics question...

to be honest, thats a question that ur not going to get many anwers on. The only way to do it is to sit down and spend the time to figure it out yourself, everyone is different there and every horn is different. Just think of it as when u first tried to get that nasty F or E out of that horn, and ull be golden

Reply To Post AIM

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Multiphonics question...

TKelly, There are several ways to achieve multiphonics. The first 2 are easiest and probably what you are interested in, the third way is more challenging and takes a bit more practice. 1st way is to growl: you make a growl in your throat and play the note at the same time. This is not really multiphonics but it sort of achieves the same effect you are looking for. This is the sound David Sanborn gets on his high F#'s so I thought that might be what you are referring to. 2nd way is to sing while playing: You pick a note different from the one you are playing and you hum it while fingering and playing a different note. This might be easier to try on a note like A above the staff. It's easier on more open fingered notes when you are getting started. You have to really hum it loudly to force it out. This way achieves almost the same effect as the growl but it is way nicer to your throat and also you can learn to hum any note you want so you could in theory hum harmony to yourself etc... 3rd way is to figure out multiphonic fingerings: This is more involved. Multiphonics from a formal standpoint include special fingerings designed to emit multiple notes when played just right, like Coltrane used. I would suggest a book on multiphonics to study fingerings. Off the top of my head Multiphonis for the saxophone by John Gross was pretty straightforward. This involves a knowledge of the overtone series/harmonics on the saxophone so if you've never done the overtone or harmonic series on the saxophone I would buy Sigard Rascher's book on Overtones before trying multiphonic's fingerings or you will be very frustrated. Good Luck Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ