Saxophone Forum

by stillplayin_sax
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Intro: My saxes are older than I (am)!

Hello all! I have been playing since the late 60s 7th through 12th ( no college playing). I still have my first horn, a Conn alto bought for me for $75. After much research, i have determined it is a Artist Model made in 1923. Gold plate over silver, tuning ring, elaborate engraving. I also have a Martin Handcraft Tenor made about 1930s? finially a Selmer Mark IV alto. My father-in-law has an instrument repair shop! What a deal! The conn is in great shape but plays like crap! Any ideas as to what mouthpiece to use? I think that is the problem. Cheers!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by stillplayin_sax
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Intro: My saxes are older than I (am)!

Ha Ha Ok its a Mark VI alto.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

18 years ago

Vintage horns play best with large chambered mouthpieces. Modern Links generally work well with vintage horns. If you go into a pea shooter/small chambered mpc, you can tend to find yourself amongst intonation problems on a vintage horn. If you're interested, I have a very old Link Tonemaster - I can send you pictures if you want.

Reply To Post

1. by stillplayin_sax
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

Ok, that would be great!. So i guess using a C* Selmer (i think it says S 80) mouthpiece on an old Martin handcraft is not a good idea either. Hmm.. the Martin was a gimme, so i have been playing with what came with it. I plan on playing concert type stuff, not so much jazz.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

18 years ago

My experience is that S80's work fairly well with modern horns - not so much with old (1920's / 1930's) horns. Individual results may vary... You may need to try several different pieces to find a good match. Again, you want a very large chamber and, if possible, concave sidewalls. Email me offline - I may be able to help you out.

Reply To Post