Saxophone Forum

by saxs_make_it_happen
(42 posts)
18 years ago

What's the difference with vintage saxes

Hi, I've been playin 6 years now and I've only had a chance to play 3 different altos.....sad huh... lol. But anyways I was wondering if there is any major difference in vintage saxes and modern ones...... and what makes the Mark VI so good? I kknow I sound like a NOOB on here lol but I've never had anywhere else to find out. I've always been curious cause I love to play and I plan on playin my sax forever. I jus want to start expanding my knowledge. Thanx.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What's the difference with vintage saxes

Some people like to make others sound like NOOB's--don't worry about it. I've played a lot longer than you, and have only played on three different altos! I've never played the Mark VI, but have even heard some who don't like it. I'm happy with what I have--no reason to change. There are many differences between vintage and modern horns, weight, keywork, construction materials, etc. My best advice is to find one on which you can produce the tone you like. Different horns work better for different people.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

I have three MK VI's and I think the tenor is the least noticeable compared to other horns. On the alto and soprano I think is where the MK VI stands out. The tone is gorgeous. When you get up to the big tenor, the difference in horns decreases. The new horns probably are superior. I bought my tenor and alto (MK VI's) because I was playing gigs and that's what most cats were playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

cats? Wow...does the fact that I don't use the word "cats" to describe people make me a NOOB too?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

lol i dont think so; most of the time I dont say that either but sometimes those cats just get me goin and...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

When I bought my MK VI tenor and alto in 1966, we used the word cats a lot. What is a NOOB?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

Some one who is new at something. OR it can be someone who has been PWNED...if you really want to know more go here...

Reply To Post

3. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

The Mk. VI is a lovely horn- nice action, tone like Mrs. Butterworth's syrup... there's a good reason everybody tries to copy it. Still, there are other really good horns out there too. King Zephyr and Super 20, Martin, Conn Chu and "M" series, Buescher (pre-'63). Hard to say exactly why, but you should just take some time when the opportunity presents itself and see if you dig the older stuff. Each has a different "character". I can't comment on the newer horns because I've never played anything more recent than a (1977) Mk. VII. Meow.

Reply To Post

4. by saxs_make_it_happen
          (42 posts)

18 years ago

I wish I had a chance to play a Mark VI, it's a dream of mine lol... mabey I will one day.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by sax_a_gogo
          (23 posts)

18 years ago

Mk VI

The mk VI is basically recommended by any pro player I've run into. I'm a semi-pro and use an 80's S80 series I. Loved it since I bought it new. Still, I have this hankering to see what I'm missing in a MkVI. Anyone know if the ergonomics of the VI are worse/better? I'm guessing the tone would be more 'velvetty' or whatever adjective people use. Anyone had a chance to compare S80 and MkVI Tenor/alto or sopr? This guy is obviously hawking selmer's but he has a pretty in depth comparison review : www.selmer.com/phpBB/saxophone/viewtopic.php?t=3&highlight=mark+vi If even Selmer is copying their own Mark VI in the reference series, there must be something good about it :)

Reply To Post