Saxophone Forum

by BonnieL
(1 post)
18 years ago

My Grandpa's Alto Sax

Can someone help me identify my grandfathers alto? He was a semi-professional and performed in the 30' s and 40's. I am curious as to it's worth, other than the obvious sentimenal value. It was professionally restored in 1980 and he made one last performance ; It was never played again. It is still shiny, no dents or missing pads, the keys keys have a nice, secure feel to them, nothing loose or leaky. It is brass. On the bell it has CG Conn LTD Elkhart Indiana, the lady in the pentagon On the back, under the thubrest Pat Dec 3 or 8, 1914 1119954 PAT APPD FOR A M253480A L

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

18 years ago

Re: My Grandpa's Alto Sax

That's a good horn, sounds like a Conn 6m. Very nice, probably somewhere around 2000 I think? ConnSaxJim would know better.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Thats from 1932 and would be a new wonder series 2 transitional alto. It may either have split bell keys or same sided keys (most probably same sided by 1932 but not always ). Very nice horn and i hope it was not re-laquered as this will effect the value but around the $2000 or a bit more for a non relac and a bit less if its a re-lac Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Dave is correct. Technically, it would be considered a transitional model, but most likely it is an early 6M. They were not officially called a 6M until 1934. Conn started making changes to their New Wonder Series II as early as 1928. The New Wonder had the split bell keys (B and Bb keys on opposite sides of the bell). I would imagine that your horn has the keys on the same side, and probably an underslung octave key also (octave key mounted on the bottom of the neck instead of the top). The engraving is also typical of the later 6M's. It's rare to see that same engraving engraving on a horn made before 1934. $2000 is a good average value. In excellent shape with original lacquer, I've seen them sell for as much as $2800. It's true relacquers are generally worth less than a horn that has 90% or better original lacquer, but if the relacquer is done properly, a relacquered horn is worth no less than a vintage horn with, say 80% original lacquer. I have had a couple of my horns relacquered. If the original lacquer is less than 70%, I would consider a relacquer. Just be careful who you have do the work!

Reply To Post Yahoo!