Saxophone Forum

by swimgurl1019
(7 posts)
18 years ago

mouthpieces

Hey everyone. I'm currently looking for another jazz mouthpiece for my MkVII tenor. ive been looking at the Meyer and the Morgan mouthpieces. I've seen a lot of good reviews on them. im just wondering if it is still possible to have a slightly darker tone, or if they make the tone bright. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mattMrozinski
    (35 posts)

18 years ago

Re: mouthpieces

i have a meyer 5m for alto and i am just tickled pink! i love it its a great piece, but im not sure about any differences between alto and tenor, still the same piece basically just bigger, right? for a darker tone you could get a selmer 80 c* or whatever if they even make those in tenor and find the right reed and change your embrochure a bit. at least thats what ive heard dont listen to me. -Matt

Reply To Post

2. by llehctiMnairB
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

I would actually get an otto link if you want a dark sound. It gives a really dark sound i will warn you. I actually got rid of mine because it was too dark.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

18 years ago

Phil Barone pieces are the way to go. I also tried the Ponzol hard rubber, and it was almost as good. For tenor I don't think Barone makes the NY piece, they make the Vintage piece, which I've hear is just as good. The Otto Links are reasonably priced and are great for the money. They have a good dark edgy sound. I would strongly advise against getting an s-80 for jazz, or even for classical on tenor. The Morgans weren't as good as I had heard. They sound to "commercial", I didn't feel that my sound came out, it sounded like the mouthpiece. It reminded me of playing a Series III.

Reply To Post

1. by swimgurl1019
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

hey thanks for the replies. i forgot to mention, im looking for a jazz mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Your horn has a nice low end. You don't want to get too muddy on those low notes. You want to have a little slap to them. The 80 mouthpiece is hideous, and Meyer is an alto mouthpiece. I have different mindsets for alto and soprano. The tenor is husky down low, With the MK VII , the Otto Link New York 7 sounds nice. I have put my Link on a VII and i liked it all through the range. A used mouthpiece would save you money.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, if you want to go metal, I would say either the New York Link as Terry mentioned, or a Peter Ponzol mouthpiece, those sound pretty nice on tenor.

Reply To Post