Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

New to Jazz

I am starting Jazz band in 3 weeks. I play the Bari and I have played it for about 6 months. I have played the Alto for almost 2 years now. But I amplaying the Bari and for some reason my band teach. thinks that i am good. I think that I am okay. So I got an invite to play in the school Jazz band. I don't know much about Jazz and have no clue how to play it. I am going to be one of the lowest instruments as well as One of the youngest players. I will also be the ONLY bari Saxophone. so I need pointers. I need help on basically everything to with Jazz music. your help in much appreciated. Thax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New to Jazz

You will do just fine. The more you play, the better you get. Get that bari quackin'. :) Best of luck to you. You get your pointers at school. You know Eb riffs already from alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by rednecksax
    (24 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New to Jazz

The thing that distinguishes jazz from other styles of music is the articulation and the style. Never in concert band would you play a marcato as a "dat" sound, but that is how it is played in jazz. once you learn the difference between concert band articulation and jazz band articulation, you will feel very comfortable playing jazz.

Reply To Post