Saxophone Forum

by Tdove
(10 posts)
18 years ago

Otto Link 8 mouthpiece

Hello, I recently purchased an Otto Link True Tone mouthpiece, an 8, and I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could help with. First, I used to play mouthpiece size 7, not sure the make, it came with the horn but served me well in the beginning. Anyway, on that mouthpiece I used Rico Jazz Select 3. Since I had nearly a full box left when I got the new mouthpiece I beagn to use these. It seems like I'm blowing my brains out to produce a good solid tone. But if I switch to a 2.5 I seem to squeak. What are you guys suggestions on reed strength with this mouthpiece? I found two reeds out of the box that played great yet they didn't last but a few practice sessions. Second, Is anyone familiar with this mouthpiece? What can you guys tell me about it (like it, not like it...)? Thanks a lot, Troy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Otto Link 8 mouthpiece

Try a #2 reed. Chances are you're going to need to adjust to the mouthpiece, and change your embrochure a little to accomodate it. The Otto Link 8 is pretty open. I wouldn't suggest a reed any harder than a #2

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

18 years ago

personally, i have a 6* on tenor and a 7* on bari, and on both i use vandoren #4s, someimes a 5 if i can find the rare box...anything less than 3 is when i squwk on it. Links tend to be opposite the typical rules in my experiance

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cjbass
        (14 posts)

18 years ago

I use a Otto 7 and Java 3 1/2 to 4's, but I really like an airy tone ala Sonny Rollins. If you want a more sold tone I would personally go back to the 7 and use a 2 1/2 to 3 reed, but that is just my opinion. Good Luck CJ

Reply To Post