Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
18 years ago

Opinions on Teeth Guard patches

Hi, Can anyone give me any information on the teeth guard patches that I've seen on mouthpieces? Are they useful? Does cutting a groove into your mouthpiece hurt the sound? Where do you get them? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Opinions on Teeth Guard patches

I suspect they mainly help retain the value of your mouthpiece (at least if you change them often enough). I don't see how a little tooth groove could affect your sound. You could also argue that the soft ones are comfortable and give you some grip, helping keep the piece in one place... Pretty much any place that sells reeds and mouthpieces should have them, but you'll get a lot of hits with Google if you search for 'Mouthpiece Cushions'.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

:-) I never thought to call them cushions! I did finally find them on WWBW. Thanks so much for your response. I ordered both styles to see which my daughter likes the best.

Reply To Post

1. by hselmer9966
        (31 posts)

18 years ago

if you buy the black ones they tend to be a little thicker than the clear ones, this said the thickness, still only being a millimeter or so, can open your mouth and actually affect the tone. i have used the black ones on my legit pieces for 4 years and i find the claer ones good for jazz pieces.

Reply To Post

1. by gbsax
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

I tried some on an alto and effectively 'chewed' them off too quick - they looked like a good idea, but they didn't do it for me. All my mouth pieces have the same tooth pattern (ten., alt., sop., clarinets). A couple its time to replace. I meet an old guy (mid-eighties) who had played professionally all his life. His top front teeth were worn down - is this what cushions are supposed to protect?

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Put a bycycle puncture repair patch on it Dave

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

18 years ago

I use them on hard rubber alto mouthpiece's when my teeth wear holes in the hard rubber. I don't use them on tenor metal mouthpieces because a repairman can just replace the teeth pad on the Dukoff mouthpiece that I am presently useing......Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM